Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine - Water hammer

(Topic created on: 22-02-2021 06:41 PM)
Tazm3k
First Poster
Options

Had a WW80TA046AX 8kg washing machine installed today.

Ran our first cycle, and every time the drum stopped spinning (gentle spin, fast spin, any spin in between) there was a single bang from our upstairs pipes.

Have tried running hot/cold taps (at different speeds) after a few bangs to see if that helped, but no luck.

What painfully obvious trick am I missing here? Thanks.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
PaulyWauly36
Pathfinder
Options
maybe too much water pressure,try turning the Blue tap slightly off on the conection to your washing machines water pipe
0 Likes
Tazm3k
First Poster
Options

Thanks. Have given that a go.

Will let it run a few cycles and get back to you 👍🏻

0 Likes
wangie49
Journeyman
Options

are having the same problem. Changed to a Samsung machine & every time the water stops we get a loud bang. For the other washing machine, we had No Noise!!

Samsung says to contact a plumber, but we have only had the problem since the Samsung machine has been installed.

I have turned the water pressure down by a Half but still bangs when the water stops!!

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

who installed the washing machine for you? - maybe when they installed the samsung and plumbed it in they may have moved/knocked the cold water pipe and it may be banging because of that , the cold water pipe has only to be too close to a joist in the ceiling or the hole in the ceiling and it will bang off that. 
is the water connection tap one with the blue head like this one, if it is try turning down between half and off 

andy_in_ireland_0-1691757000912.webp

other than that , a plumber could put in a flow reducer on the cold water feed pipe that might help

0 Likes
wangie49
Journeyman
Options
Andy. It was 1 machine out & a new 1 put in exactly the same place with the same connection. I used the new water pipe that was supplied along with the waste pipe. They are the only new connections. That is why it's annoying, we never had this problem with the old machine. I have even turned down by half the Cold water supply to the house & yet it still goes bang when ever the machine cut's the water supply. Very confusing & annoying
0 Likes
RoseM07
First Poster
Options

Having the same issue, samsung technician is of no help at all. Did you manage to solve your water hammer issue?

0 Likes
wangie49
Journeyman
Options
Rose sorry to say No. I've turned down the main supply tap to the house, I've turned down the tap direct to the washing machine as was suggested, all to no avail, even had the machine warning about low water pressure. Even happened then ,so I've turned the direct tap up a little more. Thinking it's going to be a plumber next. Very annoying as never had it untill we had this Samsung fitted
0 Likes
RoseM07
First Poster
Options

Same with ours. Technician who came out to replace the leaking door said water hammer is normal.  When I asked him how come our previous LG washer didnt cause it he merely said he cant answer that question. He suggested buying and installing a water hammer arrester. I havent found one yet

0 Likes