Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WASHER SEAL FAULT

(Topic created on: 18-02-2022 11:31 PM)
Maggz
Explorer
Options

Seal has broken on a SAMSUNG washer less than 6 months old. Advised not under warranty as its a perishable,  would not expect it to have perished so soon surely.

I paid upwards of £600 now they want me to pay a few hundred of my own money to have to repaired  my washing machine is useless as water empties from it flooding my kitchen when the seal has torn.

Surely it should withstand being loaded and uploaded I have had other brands with no issues. SAMSUNG is suppose to be a well made product not at the cheaper end of the market

How many people need to complain before it's taken as a manufacturing fault. My friends have checked online and seen thus is a recurring issue.

20220218_162106.jpg

219 REPLIES 219
Disapointed
Navigator
Options

Exactly the problem and same topic as described and cannot get an engineer!  Samsung need to take ownership and face this issue.  Dissapointed as encouraged wife to buy this brand due to warranty. Will be taking legal advice.  Please contact BBC Watchdog and communicate your experience online and to friends.  So not let them get way this.

Disapointed
Navigator
Options

Looks like this maywell be an inherent problem then.  If you have this problem post here and on social media as this supports our opinion there is an inherent problem with the machine seals, that support our consumer rights claims to free repair ,  replacement or  refund depending on age of ownership potentiallyup to 6 years regardless of hmm  'guarantee'.  Get legal advice from Citizen Advice or your Home legal insurance if you have it. 

Disapointed
Navigator
Options

Thanks for your input Samsung seem to be try to deny responsibility for ours yet we put nothing withmetal ie zips etc in the machine.  Seems sharp edge on seal wire damaged our seal. What was the cause reason recorded for the failure on your machine? Please help.

0 Likes
EamonK
Journeyman
Options

Any reasonable judge wouldn't consider it reasonable to have to replace the door seal on a washing machine after two years, let alone 6 months. 
This seems like a faulty seal design, be it material or otherwise.

0 Likes
EamonK
Journeyman
Options

The rubber is perishing from what i can tell, which then causes it to break. 

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

I have seen these seal 'stress' when people are putting in and pulling out sheets and duvets , of course with all that even in 6 months the rubber there is going to perish. Sure it could be argued if Samsung had made the port-hole larger this would have been a better Idea. 
I have a 8kg 2012 Hotpoint and a 9kg samsung 2020 model and have measured the diameter of the porthole because at first looking the Hotpoint washing machine looked like it has a wider/larger porthole than the samsung and sure enough when i measured it the Hotpoint definitely does have a wider porthole, much better for loading sheets and duvets in . 

Honestly if that was me and to save a lot of headaches and phoning to customer services and fretting about it and talking legal tak I would just go on a plethora of 'spares for your washing machines' websites and order a brand new grey door rubber Gasket and fit it yourself (or get someone handy say a friend ) who is handy at that kind of thing and save yourself a lot of hassle. Its not a bad job at all ... and quite easy on these Samsung washer, no special tools heeded ... you most probably already have the tools already in your home tool box (a posidrive screwdriver an flat head screwdriver, a pair of long nose pliers) and there are a plethora of video's on youtube how to replace door gaskets on washing machines and here is a PDF for servicing samsung washing machines that show you how to replace it also . 
Good luck , and just watch next time when you are loading and unloading the machine you are not pulling out all the washing in a 'clump' and brushing past the seal every time and it should last you a lot longer and dont overload the machine with large sheets and duvets brushing past that seal and it will last longer .

Look around page 29 of this service manual:
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/EU/202108/20210830142337656/SM_WW6000T_EN_End_user_201127...

Around 57 quid for the actual door gasket from espares UK:
https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1640234/washing-machine-door-seal

0 Likes
Maggz
Explorer
Options
Hello all, just to let you all know after four and half long months of contacting Samsung and the store I purchased it from. I have had a full refund. There will subsequently be a complaint going through when I get over the stress of it all. Thanks for all the support.
I have had hotpoint washing machines which I replace about every 10 years but this time I thought I would try Samsung big mistake. I am careful when loading and unloading the washing machine and take things out separately not in big clumps or dragging them out.
Samsung use to cover the seal but obviously too many people complain so now it's fall to the retailer. The retailer need to inform customers the seal an integral part of the machine is not covered under the warranty.
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

well done! - its not many times I hear of people getting a full refund .. and especially after that amount of time owning it... maybe in the first month of owning I have. Whatever you did or threaten them with worked!

0 Likes
Disapointed
Navigator
Options

My solicitor found several areas to sue the retailer and credit card company in  England  but look at 'durability' in this scenarion ( Consumer Rights Act 2015) 

• Of satisfactory quality’, that is they are of a standard that would reasonably be expected taking into consideration the price paid and description. In appropriate circumstances the quality of the goods will include freedom from minor defects, durability, safety, and appearance and finish.
  • ‘Fit for all purposes’ made known to the seller at the time of purchase

Due to damage caused to my floor a claim against the manufacturer is also being considered 

Product liability is where the supplier and or manufacturer of a product is held to be liable when a defect in that product has caused injury or loss to another person.

under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 a strict liability tort for product liability is imposed, and covers personal injury and damage to property caused by a faulty product.

If a claim does not succeed under this Act, a common law negligence claim could still succeed.

What does the Consumer Protection Act 1987 say?

The Act provides for strict liability in respect of defective products. This means that if there was a defect in a particular product then the ‘producer’ of the product would be automatically liable for any harm caused by that defect, whether or not they were at fault. It applies whether the defective product was supplied to consumers, or to business organisations.

A ‘producer’ would usually be the manufacturer or the product, including any business involved in the manufacturing process. This means more than one party could be held liable

0 Likes
Britain2021
Apprentice
Options
I had the same problem. Where the outer door seal comes off and damaged the rubber seal .Was told that is NOT under the warranty.
0 Likes