Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung f/freezer missing rear ventilation grille

(Topic created on: 02-12-2020 10:20 PM)
Heehog
Explorer
Options

Hi, can anyone confirm please? 

Does your Samsung fridge/freezer have a full top-to-bottom covering at the rear?  Ours was delivered with the lower rear ventilation grille missing, leaving a large approx 10" high gaping hole at the lower rear, exposing the compressor(?) and bits of cable/pipework.  See picture.  Missing lower grille.jpg

The pictures  of our model on Samsung's website show this grille in place, but Samsung UK help desk staff insist that it's safe to use without and that this grille is not provided in the UK, despite their website pictures.  

I'm not convinced, so I was hoping to hear from others whether their story holds water. 

Is it truly safe to use like this?  I've noticed that small pipe on the right hand side can get VERY hot.  

Model is RB34T602ESA/EU, but we now regret buying a Samsung as we're concerned about the fire risk.  If their website shows a covering grille in place,  it must be there for a reason. 

Impossible to speak to our retailer Currys, as they've auto-diverted their phones direct to Samsung's help desk, but that's a separate issue.

Does anyone else's fridge/freezer look like this? 

Advice appreciated, thank you.  

76 REPLIES 76
FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

There's a feedback complaint on the model

RB34T632EBN/EU

He returned the item only to be sent another the same.

If you ask me they look like repaired models.

I came here looking to see if there were more complaints & there are. If the cover wasn't meant to be there why would Samsung send out a replacement. People responding as mediators are meant to help us not just tell us anything to shut us up. YES we know it still works but it isn't the 35 decibels they claim it is with that cover missing & it is meant to be there.. So why isn't it?

I am having mine delivered tomorrow by Argos. I warned them to ensure the cover is on keep it & refund me. They just said if its delivered without the cover call them for the cover to be sent. I said 'look I want a working machine I paid for at 35 decibels & a fully covered back. I have birds & feathers can cause fires. So the delivery men can stand & wait until I unpack it but I'm signing/accepting nothing unless that cover is on.

Trying to fob us off with repaired models. This has happened to me three times now.

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

This is what Samsung write on their selling information.

Quote < Clean Back: With exposed cables and coils, it can be difficult to keep the backs of conventional refrigerators clean and safe. But we've got it covered – with the metal Clean Back cover. > Unquote

Clearly this means models with no cover are not as they should be sold & not safe. They're certain to be louder than the claimed noise level too. 

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

I think its dreadful for Samsung to use the fully covered back as a selling feature then leave exposed wires after they tell purchasers the cover makes the item safer by covering wires etc.

Quote Samsung Quote < Clean Back: With exposed cables and coils, it can be difficult to keep the backs of conventional refrigerators clean and safe. But we've got it covered – with the metal Clean Back cover. > unquote.

They even tell would be purchasers to vacuum the fridges at the back! Not very safe would it? 

I purchased this machine because I have a bird free flies & cannot risk feathers & debris in the motor area. It's being delivered tomorrow but they'll haul it straight back as mis selling, misleading & endangering customers telling them to vacuum areas where electrical wires are. If they wanted to not bother with the cover in the UK they should have made it clear. Instead they waste out time misleading us.

Not to mention that all the positive feedbacks are from individuals who received the model as a test machines & are incentive feedbacks. Absolutely disgusted.

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

I suppose they ignore you if they have no answer jaydee.

Heehog
Explorer
Options

My retailer Currys state on their website, "Clean and seamless, the Samsung RB34T602ESA/EU has recessed handle, streamlined design and flat back fully covered, no wires showing".  [My underlining]. 

With the panel missing, I have at least one wire clearly exposed, as well as red-hot components (and more noise, as FlossyT above) .  

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods must be as described.   Using this, I tried rejecting the appliance in writing, but Currys have simply ignored me for almost a month now.   They have made themselves IMPOSSIBLE to contact:  Customer Service phones are auto-diverted direct to Samsung (despite my contract is with Currys),  they have disabled their webchat and they offer no email contact.  They publish no complaints procedure on their website.   With Currys you are now on your own after purchase. 

I've written to the CEO, who patently isn't interested in feedback.  Letter intercepted by his team, and it took three weeks for a minion to trot out the standard meaningless apology, with no offer of a resolution. 

I suspect nothing short of small claims court action will interest them. 

I even wonder if they are going under?  They used to be reliable and trustworthy, but I would strongly advise to avoid nowadays. 

If anyone needs convincing, just take a look at the pages of one star Trustpilot reviews in recent weeks...  it's now awash with them.  

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

I've already told Argos no bottom plate motor cover & you'll haul it back. So if they couldn't be bothered to find out for me before delivery it just goes to show how unhelpful & hopeless they are at customer service. They then asked me for feedback on 'how we did' HUH Unbelievable. We should be able to spend time choosing what we want & that should be enough. Instead we're treated like fools. The mediator on here says 'Oh they're ok with that bit missing' How insulting is that! They are not ok , they are louder & the motor & exposed wires are very dangerous. 

The main selling features of the back plate which encouraged us to buy are just not mentioned, no apology just oh it's fine like that. No problem if its louder than we promised or more dangerous than we promised JUST PUT UP WITH IT it's all ok.

Well it isn't & Curry's are disgraceful. I contact stores right on their facebook page in public so please try that to get a response. Ignorance & neglect of customers won't just go away. 

Please write on their page in public here     https://www.facebook.com/curryspcworld 

Also use the facebook currys complaints page.    currys complaints 

I'm also going to put a post on facebook Samsung tomorrow

Good luck I hope you get justice.

Heehog
Explorer
Options

I don't use Facebook, but I've written to Currys CEO and I'm currently in discussion with his support team.   A massive 65% of their Trustpilot reviews are now 1 star ratings, with most of their 5 star reviews laughably obvious fakes in an attempt to bring up their overall figure.  I can't see them recovering from that.   

As a member of the Which? consumer association, I'm also in discussion with their research team over the safety aspect of this missing ventilated grille.  I'm hoping they might run an article on this matter, especially if they hear from others too.   After Grenfell, they are VERY concerned about these back panels of fridge/freezers.   Selling appliances with these safety features missing I don't think will sit well with Which?.

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

Thank you for doing all you can regarding this for your sake & the rest of us wanting answers. I know people are returning the various models with missing back plates so one would think they would help us. Samsung have always been held in high regard by many so this is not how I'd have expected this purchase to go. I paid a bit more for their name & expected quality & would have thought they would have done better. 😞

This model would have been perfect for me, with my birds, had it been sold as advertised.

*Please can you give me the contact for which?

*Please also let me know if its ok for me to use your image without any associating information or name of course?

I'm elderly & been without a fridge freezer or proper fresh produce for a few weeks now. Last night I explained to my son & his wife that the fridge would probably not be accepted due to a safety part missing. They told me I had a huge food delivery coming today from them so its looking like if I don't accept the delivery I'll be in even more of a mess.

This is a worry & as it all seems to be surrounded by subterfuge & silence, from those who have the facts, one wonders if the machines could be unsafe & the cover left off so fires can be quickly accessible.

There lies the main issue, we're not being told anything directly from Samsung so one searches for logical answers themselves. The facts are, these covered motor parts are being used as a main selling safety feature - they're missing so why Samsung? We deserve an explanation & a price reduction at the very least for the missing part & stress involved having to fight to discover why.

Heehog
Explorer
Options

FlossyT,  I emailed which.support at which.co.uk and they've passed my enquiry to their research team (but I already subscribe to Which? and it's possible they'll only respond to subscribers).

You may use my image unattributed.  My second image, with the red oval, was lifted off Samsung UK's website (I just added the red oval).  For that image, I'm equally happy but you'd best seek Samsung's approval too.  

If it helps your peace of mind, two things to add:-

(a) My daughter & husband hauled out their Samsung f/freezer which they purchased a few months ago to check behind and that has the same grille missing, so this is not a new phenomenon.  They did not notice at installation time and they are not concerned in the slightest.  

(b) I checked the pics of an LG f/freezer on AO's website today, and that too had the same grille missing.  So perhaps it's a recognised standard in the UK, for reasons unknown.

What would be very helpful and set my mind at ease would be for Samsung to step up and issue a statement about this, assuring customers that it's safe to operate in this configuration.  Secondhand assurances on a forum don't convey the same level of confidence.  

I even wonder whether these appliances are running too hot with the grille in place, and that's why they've been removing them.

I have to agree this episode has put me off considering future Samsung products too, a maker I used to trust.  

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

I totally agree! Just tell us why. They responded on facebook as stores always do in the public arena on facebook. They gave me similar responses saying fine to use etc & I told them 'yes we keep hearing all this but just explain why' They said the item should not have been shown with the cover intimating that was the only error. I explained well you also claim its's quieter & safer with the cover so you need to change that too. I've accepted the delivery because my son & wife have ordered me £150 of food to fill it due anytime now.. Mine also has a big blob of spilled white paint on the motor area where they've painted a rod connected to the motor. There's also a piece of 'half on half off foil covering a hole going up into the rear. I'm unsure whether I'm supposed to remove that or not. I'm assuming remove it but who knows. There's no mention of the 5 year guarantee either in the paperwork included, just the 2 years & 10 for the compressor. Somebody said that 10 year guarantee is useless because it needs an engineer to fix or replace it & it would be over £200.

To be honest whoever said the build was amazing doesn't take much pleasing. Compared to my 22 year old silver coloured 'service' fridge freezer the quality is quite tacky. See the photo showing the difference in fridge shelves. top is 22 year ols Service bottom is samsung with its sharp rough cut plastic edgesIMG_8823.JPGfoil half covering hole next to motorfoil half covering hole next to motorspilled paint where pipe above has been painted for some reasonspilled paint where pipe above has been painted for some reasonIMG_8816.JPGtorn foiltorn foil