Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS8000 American Fridge Door swings wide open

(Topic created on: 05-01-2023 07:50 AM)
P1Fanatic
Apprentice
Options

We purchased the RS8000 RS68N8340S9/EU model American Style Fridge Freezer a month or so ago and have been pretty pleased with it. However one annoyance is that on opening the fridge (right side) door more than say 50 degrees then it swings open and quickly until it hits something. In our case a radiator on the wall. It's nothing to do with the weight of items in the door as it does it when the door is empty. Its annoying as if you dont catch it with your hand it will swing with some force. At present I have gotten around it by fitting felt patches on the radiator itself to cushion any impact but its not ideal.

Looking at the installation guide etc I cant see a way to tighten the door swing mechanism or restrict the the angle it can open. The appliance is perfectly level and I have even raised the right hand foot a tad in the hope that it counteracts the swing but its made no difference. The freezer door on the left has no such issue and stays in place wherever you leave it open, but then its around half the width of the fridge door so not as heavy.

Anyone else had this problem with an RS8000 model or its it just ours? If you did were you able to fix or at least improve it?

Thanks

Simon

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Fridge door swings
First Poster
Options

Ours does that too and no one seems to be able to help 

0 Likes
P1Fanatic
Apprentice
Options

We never resolved it and just learned to live with it. I think the swing speed did slow a bit over time. But if we forget we still have soft felt patches on the radiator to avoid impact. Just have to remember when moving fridge to dust behind to check swing once moved back.

0 Likes
Fridge door swings
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your feedback - I’m popping down to supplier later to see what they have to say . At such an expense it’s not fair . Also think it may have something to do with balancing the doors . I’ll let you know how I get on 

0 Likes
P1Fanatic
Apprentice
Options

Good luck. I just checked ours and the swing is less noticeable. Up to approx 70 degrees open it stays put but 70-90ish it slowly opens further and 90+ its fast. We did all obvious stuff like checking its level, raising feet on right side but never made any difference. I dont think the door hinge is strong enough to support the heavier fridge side door.

0 Likes