Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Fridge filter recycling

(Topic created on: 19-03-2018 12:23 PM)
geedy85
First Poster
Options

Does anyone know where or how to recycle the water filter cartridges from the American style fridge freezers in the UK? I cant find anywhere and have about four cartridges now. Its so environmentally unfriendly to just put them into landfill. 

0 Likes
Go to solution
39 REPLIES 39
EdWin22
First Poster
Options

Found this, but have not tried it yet.

https://www.recyclewaterfilters.com/packaging-recycling-water-filters.html

And, yes, it's very sad that such a big company does little about this problem.

0 Likes
DannyT
Options

We currently do not offer any recycling facilities for Water Filters, but have relayed your interest in this to the teams here at Samsung. Many large supermarkets have a water filter/battery/bag recycling station in their larger stores.

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
lgossage
First Poster
Options

It is absolutely appalling that a company the size and strength of Samsung does not prioritise recycling. I shall not buy any further Samsung products until this is rectified and I shall advise others to follow suit. utterly disgraceful

Birdy3
First Poster
Options

We have found an alternative called Fortress by filter logic. You can open it up and replace the cartridge rather than chuck the whole unit. Just installed it, seems to work fine.

0 Likes
LMH2
First Poster
Options

The solution here is for Samsung to do the responsible thing and institute a take back program for their used filters. Either they can dismantle the filters and partner with another company to repurpose the plastic, or Samsung makes a commitment to recycle the old filters into new filters. Companies like Patagonia do it, so a company the size of Samsung should be able to start addressing the environmental impact of their filters. It's time companies realize that showing that they actually care about their environmental impact is a selling point for customers.  

0 Likes
Stan00
First Poster
Options

Hi all.

SHAME on SAMSUNG!  The link simply says nothing harmful in the filter, dispose of in the rubbish.

RUBBISH!!!  The filter is hard plastic, will sit in landfill for ever.  Given the number of fridges that use this and needing to be replaced every 3-6 months, the sheer quantity worldwide is mindblowing! 

COME ON SAMSUNG, SORT IT OUT!!!

0 Likes
Members_0gzORdz
First Poster
Options

Whilst I completely agree with all of the sentiments in this and I think it's hugely irresponsible and unacceptable that Samsung aren't dealing with this issue, it seems that we can take the old filters apart to at least recycle parts of them:

https://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/recycle-inline-water-filters.html

I appreciate that someone in the thread already mentioned smashing the case open with a hammer and recycling the plastic. Just thought that this article might help to add to the thread.

I also like the option of sending them back to Samsung however their poor response to this thread makes me worry that they'll just throw then in the bin if they get them back anyway. We shouldn't have to fix this ourselves but Samsung clearly aren't going to listen.

0 Likes
John Blake
First Poster
Options

Disgraceful Samsung that you be bothered to introduce a recycling facility for these expensive plastic laden water filters.  Damages your brand reputation and sustainability ethos.  SORT IT

0 Likes
Saintelle
First Poster
Options

Samsung, you need to provide a similar program like printer ink cartridges so we can return these to you for recycling. Can’t believe I just a bought a new fridge from you and the filters are not recyclable. Disgusted. 

image.jpg

0 Likes
LaurenK
First Poster
Options

Wow, it's 6 years later and they still don't have filter catridge recycling program!!!