Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency drain tube, washing machine

(Topic created on: 20-10-2022 03:47 PM)
Gem2
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I have an Ecobubble washing machine and have been keeping up the maintenance by cleaning the debris filter. I followed all instructions correctly, but i notice that the emergency drain hose is now slightly damp right at the end where it joins with the tube cap after doing a load of washing. I have done 3 washes since this, and another time there was a tiny bit of water from it, that fell below it.

I know it’s not a massive leak, but i am wondering if this is normal, or it it’s something i should be concerned about, as in will the leak get bigger?! I have checked and the cap is definitely on correctly. I don’t know if i am doing anything wrong in taking the cap off, as i have to turn and unscrew it a bit to release the cap, it won’t come off easily just by pulling.

Am i worrying over nothing? I don’t  know for sure if this is how it’s always been as i have never checked before after cleaning.

Thanks for reading. Anyone can tell me if this is something to be concerned about?

7BB2F62D-D51F-4F4C-BB39-468285E3880E.jpeg

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Do you have any PTFE tape? If so wrap some around the plug in the drainage hose. It shouldn't get much worse but the rubber hose may have stretched at the end which is why there's now a tiny leak. PTFE will close that gap as it expands when it gets wet. Don't use too much, you can add more if necessary later.
0 Likes
Gem2
Journeyman
Options

That’s interesting. I have never heard of that tape before, but have just googled what it is. Thanks for that.

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

very cheaply (from a DIY shop or pound shop) you can get a metal hose clamp . We used to call them Jubilee clips back in the old days I think that might have been a brand name, but that would stop that from leaking for sure I reckon.

andy_from_ireland2_0-1666270673333.jpeg

Gem2
Journeyman
Options

I had to google what these were too. Thanks for the suggestion too. 

Gem2
Journeyman
Options

Just wondering also why the rubber hose could stretch so easily to cause a tiny leak? I have only opened the emergency drain hose 3 times, as it’s a new washing machine. Hmmm wondering if it was designed well in the first place. 🤔

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

well its not an engineered part, all that end bit does is 'plugs' the end of the tube to stop water to come out. 
You could cut the end bit of the tube if you think it has stretched or has a hole in it and then put the plug back in it may seal that tube better after that, but you might void some warranty on the machine

0 Likes
Gem2
Journeyman
Options

I see, ok. Won’t risk voiding warranty.

Was wondering if it was the way i was opening it. On the samsung video for how to do it, the person pulls the plug/cap off, but i found that impossible to do, so unscrewed it and that worked. I see other videos online, where the user has unscrewed it too. I don’t know if this was down to me, or if it could happen to anyone 🤔

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Depends on the type and thickness of rubber. The jubilee clip is a good shout if you can get one small enough to tuck inside the space available
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

if you find the jubilee clip a bit bulky a 'Cable Tie' will do maybe as well , as it tightens up it should make the pipe smaller so it grips the plug better at the end of the pipe :

andy_from_ireland2_0-1666299782167.jpeg

0 Likes