Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Fold 3 not working after recent software update

(Topic created on: 30-09-2023 11:30 AM)
Scotzman
Journeyman
Options
Had my phone for just over 2 years. Over that time the internal screen cover has been replaced 3 times due to peeling/creasing all under warranty. Last time it had to be sent away for almost 2 weeks and the crease returned after a month.

So whilst it can be a frustrating experience owning this device, I absolutely love it and have not had a reason to complain about Samsung service...until this week.

I always update my handset as and when the updates come through, in fact, think nothing off it. Last weekend, 24th Sept I installed the latest update and it seemed to go as normal. However later that day when I connected to my car, I found that it Spotify wouldn't play....or youtube, amazon music...nothing. I tried to make a call from the car, it connected but couldn't hear anything. Thought it was my car's bluetooth, so connected with my pods...same thing. Then connected with other bt headset, same thing.

A day later, my handset started crashing and rebooting. So installed a backup, still the same. Installed a different backup...no change. Factory reset, no difference.

Contacted Samsung Support this morning and ran through some diagnostics, no change and was directed to take it to an approved repair shop. Asked for confirmation that this would be FOC as it was caused by a Samsung Software Update. Non commital. Asked again, using very vague language to allow me to leave the chat thinking it was FOC. Pressed again, asked if there was any other damage to the handset. Stated the outer screen was cracked but had been for some time and was still fully usable. 

I was then told that Samsung do not do partial repairs and that I would need to have that repaired as part of the overall repair. Said I was agreeable to this if the cost was reasonable, but wouldnt be held to ransom. Asked again for confirmation the cost of repairing the issues cause by the software update would be FOC. I also asked when the repair policy had changed as my device had been back to Samsung (with cracked front screen) and had been repaired and returned with no stipulation I had to repair everything. No answer! Asked again for a clear answer to whether my handset would be repaired FOC with the exception of the screen repair. "That will be up to the engineers"

So firstly, has anyone had issues following last weekends software update?

Secondly, anyone have any advice on how to resolve this? I have a handset I basically run my life and business through. Through no fault of my own, my handset has been corrupted, and I am being strongarmed into paying for what I expect will be a costly repair.

I am not normally one for conspiracies, but two weeks after my handset leaves it's two year warranty this happens 🤔
11 REPLIES 11
WKLEE
Student
Options

Same problem with my Fold 3..my front camera also is not working

Scotzman
Journeyman
Options
To add to the list of growing problems, now when my phone freezes and reboots, which is becoming more frequent, it stops the wifi from working making it almost impossible to restore data. Tried to just set it up from new without a backup and download my apps manually, thought I had cracked it until it froze and rebooted switching off wifi and bluetooth again. Samsung has literally made my phone an expensive shiny brick!
Scotzman
Journeyman
Options
So after a bit of perserverence, i managed to get the phone back to working order...sort of!

Tried just to reflash the firmware using Odin...whilst the reflash worked ok, the problems remained.

I then downloaded DrFone and subscribed to the repair tool. Had some issues actually getting it to work but omce i did, it repaired the bluetooth and the crashing (early days but did a full recover and its worked well.)

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem!

Only issue is the wifi is still not working. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Cheers
Dougie
AlphaHotel
Journeyman
Options
Samsung selling bad tech then milking its users for sure
Sachin070891
First Poster
Options

Same issue with my flip 3. I don't know what to do.

0 Likes
Scotzman
Journeyman
Options
My phone has since now basically bricked....reset and now have a black internal screen, looks like I just need to give up and get a new handset
0 Likes
fatfingers
Student
Options
I have a Samsung flip 4 .. it randomly the screen would stay black after opening up, you would think the phone was dead . After lots of attempts I finally got it to open up after pressing buttons and opening. It would light up to touch and work fine and if you shut for a brief period. But shut after a few mins it would do the same .I call it playing dead .. any similarities
0 Likes
BrianMurray37
First Poster
Options

Same issues here on my Z Fold 3, but one step further. I attempted to get the internal screen working yesterday and it fully bricked on me. Did a hard reboot, and the outer screen (the only one still functioning) has now stopped responding to touch. The only working parts of the phone now are the volume buttons and the screen on/off button/fingerprint reader.

I have now pulled out my old S10 until I figure out if I want to repair the Fold 3 or trade-in and upgrade to a Fold 5...

Scotzman
Journeyman
Options
sorry to hear that, mines seems to have gone the same way. Waiting for Black Friday to see if I can get a deal. Unfortunately I dropped my old S10 yesterday and cracked the screen so that is *****, now onto an old Huawei :smiling-face: Thank god I keep my old phones
0 Likes