Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Restricting downloads (Galaxy Z flip 3)

(Topic created on: 22-09-2022 10:30 AM)
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

My Galaxy Z Flip 3 seems to be forever updating its apps (and Android). The apps usually update at least once per month and with Android it can sometimes extend to 2 days in a month or even more!! And I've started getting warnings from my operator that I'm exceeding my monthly data limit. Is there a way I can turn off these downloads occasionally? Or some setting where I can schedule updates to happen just once each month?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
SocietyGirl
Community Manager
Options

It looks like your phone is updating the apps via cellular data (your network) and you may not have the strongest signal, so you're getting slow downloads and also using all of your data allowance in the process.

If you're using the Google Play Store, you can find information on updating apps here: How to update the Play Store and apps on Android - Google Play Help

Although, if you're using the Galaxy Store, you can find information on updating apps here: How to check my purchase history and update apps in Galaxy Store | Samsung UK

Lastly, you can check and limit your data usage on your phone here: How to check data usage & data left on your Galaxy phone | Samsung UK

Hope this helps!

Say hi to us on socials -  @SamsungUK

johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Many thanks SocietyGirl. I'll turn off mobile data for a day and see if that helps.

0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
If you using any apps from the Google play store then they can update quite often, every few days, weekly and monthly so I wouldn't be to surprised by that, as long they are updating then they are doing there jobs.
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

One more thing... I checked my Settings and AFAICT I'm only getting 2GB of data each month. But my provider's package allows me 25GB monthly (or is that some different kind of data??)

Also, my Data Saver setting is off at the moment so maybe I should turn that on?

0 Likes
SocietyGirl
Community Manager
Options

Maybe you have a 2GB limit on your phone settings?

Also, you could try data saver and see if that helps - just remember it's on if you have issues with auto-updates or the internet in future :smiling-face:

Say hi to us on socials -  @SamsungUK

0 Likes
Solution
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Oops... after checking with my mobile provider just now, it turned out that this problem had nothing to do with data usage - it was all to do with a phone call I made yesterday. Although I supposedly get unlimited call time, apparently "unlimited" doesn't mean unlimited!! Certain numbers (e.g. 0844 numbers) are still charged at premium rates. 😢

johne53
Pathfinder
Options

johne53 wrote:

"after checking with my mobile provider just now it turned out that [...] 'unlimited' doesn't mean unlimited!! "

I must admit I'm getting sick of companies who behave like this. I've had an identical argument ongoing with a company who sold me a low frost freezer. After needing to defrost it twice in the first month I booked an engineer who told me that "low frost" doesn't mean I should expect to see low levels of frost!!!

You couldn't make this stuff up...