Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving files to a flash drive

(Topic created on: 07-10-2022 07:16 PM)
MTHAKATHI
Apprentice
Options
I recently bought a type c flash drive to use as an external drive to offload my files to. My phone recognises the flash drive but there's no option to move the files to the flash drive. Please help

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
kamil40013
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@MTHAKATHI, What device are you using ? Format it to exFAT file system. If it is NTFS then it will be read only. You can format it from PC or from the phone.

MTHAKATHI
Apprentice
Options
I am using a Samsung Flip 3. I did format the flash drive but I wasn't given any options
0 Likes
dj9494
Voyager
Options
Make sure you are copying files from my files not gallery app
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Some information on formatting  Flash Drives here for those who may need further detail https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingdom/en/blog/personal-storage/how-to-format-a-usb-flash-drive#:~:t... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Bigtasty65
Hotshot
Options
If your flash drive is showing up as storage in the My Files app. Then you will be able to transfer files to and from it.
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...

advised to format memory sticks as exFAT - which I did here and it's worked fine for months. But this morning I inserted my memory stick and my Galaxy-Z flip refused to mount it. I tried several re-starts but all it does now is to display a message saying that it's now charging an attached device. The memory stick gets recognised by Windows and Mac but not by Android any more on the Z-flip.

I tried a regular FAT32 memory stick and that one gets recognised. So has Android stopped supporting exFAT recently?

0 Likes
kamil40013
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@johne53, It is recognized by other phones ? Maybe you have problem with USB port or adpter.

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

I only have the one mobile phone here and it does react when I plug in either memory stick - but only the FAT32 one gets seen as a drive. The exFAT memory stick used to work - but now it just pops up a message to say it's getting charged. However, even though PC's etc are happy with the same memory stick, my phone doesn't show it as a mountable drive any more  😟

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

It's looking like this might've been a capacity problem. When mounted in Windows I noticed that the memory stick contained files totalling over 88GB. So I deleted all the files I don't need and that brought it down to under 5GB - and now suddenly my phone can mount it again.

0 Likes