Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help broken fold 5

(Topic created on: 31-12-2023 08:19 PM)
VipaChilvo
First Poster
Options
Hi all,my fold 5 of a few months has for some reason broke on inner screen, so i rarely use during the day just chilling in evenings when watching football highlights,anyway i notice like ink looking bleed on top middle where crease, i thought hmm ill keep an eye on that. Then closed and restarted phone. I went to open to watch more football and it went crazy, bright lines going through middle and grainy pixels on one side.i closed again then open to see 1 side fully not working and now gone green. So much for 200000 folds ive done like 400. So am i liable for cost or is this covered as defective? Also what do i need to do to get sorted please. Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @VipaChilvo 

Personally I would have contacted Samsung as soon as I saw the " ink bleed " you described. 

I would suggest you let Samsung have the phone either by sending it to them which means you need to contact Samsung Support. 

Or if you have a Samsung Service Centre local enough use them.

The below links should hold the information you need.

In the UK in some regions Samsung also offer a doorstep repair service for eligible postcodes and phone's. 

In regards to a repair fee Samsung would need hands on to assess whether this is under the banner of the two year Manufacturing Warranty which would mean the repair is free, or whether this is classed as accidental damage which would mean a fee. 

Samsung would contact you before carrying out any repair if there is a fee so you can authorise the repairior ask for the phone back. 

If you do opt to send the phone to Samsung then i would recommend to take time and date photo's of the phone with one of it turned on to show it's aesthetic condition while it was in your possession. 

Also send it with a suitable lost in transit insurance and a signed for option. i.e Special Delivery.

The post office will advise the best option. 

You may want to check if your covered for a phone under any applicable Home Contents Insurance or some  Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the account if Samsung are going to charge for a repair which is out of your budget.

I wouldn't recommend a stand alone Highstreet repair store as they probably won't be equipped to deal with a Samsung Fold⁵ not to mention any work carried out would render your Manufacturing Warranty voided and they may introduce dust to the insides and lose any relevant ip rating etc. 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎  

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

StephK1
Options

Just to add, if you do chose to go ahead with a Pickup repair service @VipaChilvo, this can be arranged on the link included by @BandOfBrothers and a DPD courier will come to collect the phone, rather than delivery being arranged by yourself. 🙂

0 Likes
iglabas
Apprentice
Options

The same thing happened on my Galaxy Fold 5 phone after a little over half a year of use. When opening the internal screen, a cracking sound was heard and the screen got a black line in the middle, 2-3 mm wide.
Touch didn't work anymore from that moment.
With each new opening of the screen, the line expanded, bubbles appeared, some horizontal lines appeared as if the screen was worn. In the end, the screen cracked, etc.
The phone is under warranty and I used it for 2-3 days after that until I got a replacement phone. I used only the external screen because the internal one did not work.
After sending it to the service center, they told me that I had physically damaged the screen, which made me very angry, considering that the screen had not had any damage until that moment, nor had it ever fallen or anything like that.
The service referred me to Samsung support, where I can complain about that decision.
I made an application and I can tell you that I have never had a worse experience in my life. At first they didn't want to make a report, then they took the information about the service and the work order number and said that someone would call back with the information.
Of course, no one answered for 10 days, so I called again. They say it is on hold and will "try" to rush it. And again nothing.
The service, on the other hand, asks for a statement as to whether they should repair the device at my expense (€600).
As a long-term user of Samsung devices, I am very disappointed with the attitude towards customers.
Even more so as the internet is full of the same screen failure on Fold 5 devices and they blame everything on physical damage.

0 Likes