Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Fold 5 - defective

(Topic created on: 19-02-2024 11:38 AM)
IA64
Journeyman
Options

Hello Guys, 

So my Fold 3 gave up on me, I couldn't wait for the Fold 6 so pulled the trigger and got a Fold 5. 

When I opened the device, I noticed that the outer display has a dead area where there is no display. I bought it from a Samsung authorized reseller.  

The device is 1 hour old - Literally not even the SIM card was inserted.  I went back to the store and explained the situation but they said the only way to proceed is to send it to repairs. Samsung will not refund / replace the device if the box is opened. 

Now I've seen bad customer services but this is unheard of.  $1800 for a smartphone that was defective from not even day one. 

Reseller said that he tried his best but upon communicating this issue with Samsung, they said they will replace the outer display for free ( how generous )

I feel like it's my right to not accept a repair or I'm missing something? I could have bought an open box device for much cheaper TBH . 

It's been 2 days now and god knows how long it's going to take for the device to get fixed but definitely not nice from Samsung really... I'm back to my Fold 3 now that randomly reboots and I have to live with that. 

Anything I can do? 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi there

Here in the UK the law is very clear and the device should have been swapped for another or a refund provided.

It looks like you're in the US? If so the law is different so you may wish to reach out to the US Forum for guidance.
S24 Ultra
Star_girl
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Have you checked with the actual Samsung site? I bought my phone from Currys and they would replace the phone if the box is opened and the phone is unused.
IA64
Journeyman
Options

Yes I tried to reach Samsung but they don't really care as they don't deal with end users request they asked me to check with the service center. That's obnoxious really.

923fa1c2ba8d0be9d63d1cb338084ee9

0 Likes
Star_girl
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Which shop did you buy your phone if you are OK with telling?
0 Likes
Star_girl
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
At least accept the screen replacement, I'm sure they will give you a good one.
0 Likes
IA64
Journeyman
Options

No it doesn't work like that. I dropped $1800 saturday morning on a phone that is at the repair center.  The phone is flawed from factory. 

I don't want a refurbished or repaired phone.  if I paid for something, it's because I NEED IT.  I'm traveling next week for a short business trip and I even don't know how long the repair is going to take but that's not the point. 

It is NOT MY FAULT to begin with and I am NOT supposed to be experiencing all this. What on earth seriously. 

Star_girl
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I understand you perfectly. In my opinion I believe it should be a 24-48 hours job to deal with this in a way to make the customer happy.
0 Likes
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Myself I would not accept a repair on a brand new item.

In the UK your contract is with the retailer. I'm not familiar with US law.....
S24 Ultra
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@IA64 as mentioned different regions may have differing Sales / Consumer laws. 

As you've purchased the phone from a reseller then the onus is on them initially to provide support for the product they've sold. 

I wish you all the best. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes