Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life (i.e. longevity)

(Topic created on: 17-06-2021 08:57 AM)
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

I need to update my old HTC smartphone and I'd been considering the Galaxy Z Fold 2 - until I realised the battery's apparently not replaceable. And it seems to be getting sold (in most places) with just a 12 month warranty.

So what happens if I buy this very expensive phone and the battery dies after 14 months? Is my only option to scrap the phone??

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Most phones tend not to have removable batteries these days. The lack of improves water resistance. the Samsung flagship devices have had non removable batteries for some 8 years. During this time I have had 4 devices and never needed a replacement battery. Should a device need a new battery they can be replaced, but not by yourself, you certainly do not confine the phone to the scrap heap.

johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks pugs1957 - in my experience a phone's battery is the only bit that ever wears out so it's odd that manufacturers choose to make them non-replaceable. My existing HTC phone is getting on for 11 years old now and currently on its 3rd battery. But I guess as long as a dealer can replace it, that'll be okay!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @johne53   Certainly the battery can be replaced if need be but should lost a while, though do not think it is that commonplace not to upgrade a smart phone in a decade (however take it the HTC  phone previously suited your purposes)   Tips for Maintenance and Support on this link https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/galaxy-battery/about-battery/ 

You can see a review of the Fold 2 here https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-z-fold-2-review-1153839/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks @JAMES4578 - my current phone is an old HTC Desire-Z. I've stuck with it because it contains a neat, slide-out keyboard (i.e. a real keyboard, rather than an onscreen one). But the phone's pretty useless in the modern world. For example the browser supports HTTP web sites but doesn't support HTTPS - so these days it's near enough useless.

Thanks for those links. I'll take a look at them once I've woken up a bit!!

johne53
Pathfinder
Options

I've a vague memory I found a site somewhere where I could back up my existing phone (i.e. contact list) before migrating to a new one. Can't remember now if it was with Samsung or maybe with O2. Has anyone here heard of such a backup service?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @johne53 

Samsung apply a limited 24 month manufacturing warranty so I would certainly question the 12 month you've been quoted.

Samsung also offer Samsung Care + which offers battery replacement as part of the cover.

More here https://www.samsung.com/uk/offer/samsung-care-plus. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

Many thanks BandOfBrothers. Samsung Care+ seems to have a pretty high excess for the newer models - so my guess would be that battery replacement (in effect) isn't covered 😞

0 Likes
johne53
Pathfinder
Options

The other thing I'll need to find out about is the part exchange deal. IIUC my old HTC Desire-Z is currently worth £200 in part-ex for the Galazy Z Fold3 - but how does the deal work? Do I need to send my old phone to Samsung in advance somehow? And what happens if I take advantage of my cooling-off period and send the Galaxy Fold3 back again? Will Samsung return my previous phone to me? Or just offer me £200 off some other phone?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @johne53 

If you choose the trade in at the checkout stage then Samsung will automatically take the amount off and then will send a Returns Pack in the post to you for you then to send the phone off in an agreed time scale which is 7 days.

You'd have to check the small print or speak with Samsung on the phone but I would assume once you had sent the phone into them and the deal agreed it becomes Samsung to do with as they wish. I suppose if you did send the Samsung phone back within the 28 days cooling off period then they'd apply the £200 as Credit on your account to spend.

I'll take a look at the trade in terms myself too to see if I can find out exactly what would happen.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "