Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A technical question about battery charging

(Topic created on: 07-10-2022 09:56 PM)
Gino76ph
Pathfinder
Options

Hi. I have a very technical question on battery charging.

If say we compare the slow 25w charging of a Samsung phone (overnight from 11pm to 6am) against the fast 150w charging of a OnePlus phone in under 45 minutes to which device you guys would you say uses more electricity?

Hoping for an advice. Cheers. 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Gino76ph
Pathfinder
Options

And why is that?

0 Likes
dj9494
Voyager
Options
One plus will consume more electricity!!
150 X 45 is 6750
Samsung with 25 w will charge you mobile in 3 hours for sure. So 25 x180 is 4500.
Gino76ph
Pathfinder
Options

Forgive me for being ignorant as I'm not an expert in electricity and just wanted to be sure on ways I can save on my bills.

Are you certain this is how you compute electricity? Please Note I leave my Samsung charging for 7 hours (overnight) and not just for 3 hours. 

0 Likes
dj9494
Voyager
Options
Umm the units used by the device is time X watts . In our case its charging time X Watts. If you change for 7 hours than its gonna cost more. To be honest mobile charging cost is negligible with respect to the total electricity bill
dj9494
Voyager
Options
I would also recommend you not to charge your mobile overnight and put the charge limit thingy (80%) to have a better battery life. If its a year old mobile don't mind
Gino76ph
Pathfinder
Options

I'm aware the phone is a 2-year old model but take into account I bought it as brand new and Samsung has been very good in terms of pushing updates.

Whenever I charge my phone i turn off the battery saving and fast charging, kept Adaptive Battery and Protect Battery turned on.

Comparing the S20 FE 5G and the OnePlus 10T batteries is tricky coz of how I charge them and the total watts, capacity, etc. On paper the 10T is "better" as it has a higher battery capacity and very fast charging. On the other hand Samsung has features to protect your device's battery but is slow to charge and may be a big deal especially if you forgot to charge it overnight and you need to get to work immediately. 

So, having said those do you still think the Samsung uses more electricity (albeit negligible) than the 10T?

0 Likes
sayitghoul
Apprentice
Options
If you slow charge at 25W for 7 hours, you'll have used 25W per hour for a total of 175W.

If you fast charge at 150W for 45 minutes, then obviously it's going to use less power. About 112W.
Gino76ph
Pathfinder
Options
So this would essentially mean my Samsung phone would use incrementally more power/electricity than say another phone with 80w or more fast charging that charges typically in 30 minutes or less?
0 Likes
sayitghoul
Apprentice
Options
Yes