Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to doubt Samsung

(Topic created on: 13-05-2024 09:47 PM)
FredW2
Apprentice
Options

I have always liked my Samsungs, until recently.  I owned 4 or 5 S series with no issue.  On retirement, I decided to try the A line.  The first (A33) started having battery issues after a year.  The second (A54 5G) began rebooting daily (or more) after 1 year. 

So OK, maybe I need to go back to the S series.  I bought an S24+ last week, and straight out of the box the AR function on the smarttag2 that was included does not work.  Checking the internet, there is a known issue.  Poor quality control.  Does Samsung no longer test stuff before release?

Sorry, Samsung.  I will see if this gets resolved before the return period of the phone.  If I want questionable quality, there are several brands of Chinese phones that are just as questionable and cheaper.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
FredW2
Apprentice
Options

Well, in my research, this will soon be a mute issue.  Smarttags require a Samsung phone to detect location.  Google is moving into this feature, and all Android phones will do the tracking (nit just Samsung), and Apple is throwing in with them (realizing this will dominate), as are most of the tag devices, so now nearly all smartphones will locate devices.  I would like to see Samsung integrate with Google.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hello @FredW2 

Yes unfortunately there is an issue with this.

If this is a dealbreaker for you then I can understand how you'd be disappointed.  

Please do send feedback also via your Samsung Members App. 

Via a Google Search.

From https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/179v1yr/smarttag_2_ar_find_not_working_on_s23_ultra/ 

For those experiencing the same issue...

ARCore version update was required. Steps below:

1. Phone's Settings -> Apps ->Google Play Services for AR -> More button at the top -> Uninstall updates

2. SmartThings Find -> select Tag -> You can see the pop up for Download AR Core -> Download and update -> try to using camera

In addition, AR Camera does not work well in dark environments or environments surrounded by white walls." "

And > https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/SmartTag-2-nearby-with-ar-camera-problem  

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
FredW2
Apprentice
Options

As a single issue, no this is not a deal breaker.  But my experience with 2 A series phones, and then this one with an issue with a feature they are touting (even throwing a tag in the purchase deal) right out of the box, gives me strong doubts about Samsung products.

0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I guess you have to admit you are having a bad run with tech at the moment.

You could wait and hope some of the software features get fixed.

( Do report errors here on the members tab)

Or try something else and realise Samsung S series is still the better option and be back.
0 Likes
Solution
FredW2
Apprentice
Options

Well, in my research, this will soon be a mute issue.  Smarttags require a Samsung phone to detect location.  Google is moving into this feature, and all Android phones will do the tracking (nit just Samsung), and Apple is throwing in with them (realizing this will dominate), as are most of the tag devices, so now nearly all smartphones will locate devices.  I would like to see Samsung integrate with Google.

0 Likes