Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously, what is up with this camera? S24+

(Topic created on: 01-02-2024 12:20 PM)
LisaLD
Apprentice
Options
UPDATE: I'm not sure if the camera was included in the last update, however it's drastically imporved. The contrast has reduced and so has the saturation, and it finally catches sharp photos which is evident when taking photos of my cats. Outdoor photos are also way better and capture amazing detail in clouds, landscapes and colour. Finally better than my Pixel 4XL. I have to point out that I'm only using the 12mp camera as the 50mp just washes out the photos and still don't look great. 

Hi all,

Just upgraded from a Pixel 4XL to the Galaxy S24+. Overall it feels like an upgrade, but the camera feels like a massive downgrade. 

From reading reviews it seemed everyone agreed that the Galaxy has one of the best cameras on the market. The 50MP camera was a draw, and overall the stats promised it would be better than my Pixel, which is now a 4 year old phone. 

However the S24 camera is producing photos that are very high in contrast, quite blurry, very lacking in sharpness, and either is too dark or too high in exposure. It's creating an odd blur especially on my black and white cat, as if the camera doesn't know what to do. 

So please, is this going to improve with an update or am I stuck with a subpar camera that can't be used in low light, but only in very good lighting? And one that can't take good photos of my cats, which are the things I take a photo of most. 

Here are some photos, named based on which camera took them:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11CrlHVJdLobmT7EaQtVC8u1i88u4MHGC 
21 REPLIES 21
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Loved the portrait lens on my pixel 4xl.
Then got a an S21 ultra which I absolutely loved . It did have a bad shutter lag but loved the camera combo and after 3 year I got the s24 ultra which seem to give .e pixel vibes.
I also did get the pixel 7 but didn't like the greenish hues. I kinda like the magenta tones on the s21 ultra. But now the s24 ultra kinda feels like a pixel.

Coming to your question. The photo profiling is different from manufacturers to manufacturers and same with Samsung.

You either get used to it or hate.it.

As with all phone especially new one Samsung does post at 3 huge Camera updates and apparently there will be some kind of update withing the next 3 weeks give or take.
0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Welcome to the community forums,@LisaLD 

The stock camera does not perform well on release. It will improve for sure. S22 Ultra was having the same issue. The stock camera was really bad, but Expert Raw was taking excellent pictures. Expert Raw is a free Camera Application from the Samsung Store App.

Please install the Expert Raw, try it and see if there is an improvement on the quality of the picture.

The stock camera app will improve with future updates. It should be good from the start, but installing the Expert Raw app will give you an indication if it is just the stock camera app or a fault with the hardware.

By the way, the link to google drive is not open to all. People needs to have an account and being logged in. You might to change some setting to allow everyone to read the pictures.

LisaLD
Apprentice
Options
Thank you, I was hoping the promise of improved camera on future updates was true, so I look forward to this. I will also try the app you suggested.

I've updated the permissions on my Drive, apologies for this.
0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Thank you for updating the permissions, the differences are substantial. One can see the difference on the level of detail.

Like I said before, it was the same with the S22 series. We got two update these month, the ordinary security one and they released another one improving camera performance. So, a new camera update is a certainty.

Please note, that this is the community forum, we are people who bought Samsung products and try to help each other.

LisaLD
Apprentice
Options
Thank you for letting me know, your reassurance is promising!
0 Likes
Taher Elhossin
Student
Options

I totally agree with you, even me see all images are darker thank expected.  

I'm upgrading from 4 years realme phone and it was generating better images compared with s24+ do. Really disappointed 

beesbuzzin
Student
Options

I also have this awful yellow tint and very grainy look on all my pictures and videos. I have it set to normal not warm tone. I just got S24 Ultra today and I am not happy at all with these super dull colors. Pictures and videos look soooo grainy  and not lit well, white balance is off in automatic mode.  I'm reading through all these comments and searching on You Tube to try and fix this.  Super disappointed as I didn't get the S23 and its not in stock anymore. Might have to return this S24 and switch to Apple.  Have always been an Android/ PC girl but got this specifically for Video and Picture content creation.  Super disappointed.  Anyone have ideas on how to fix this poor quality camera for pics and videos? Or just return it?

0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Welcome to the forum @beesbuzzin

The stock camera app is one the first thing to improve. I also got a #Galaxy S24 Ultra. I do not find the colours dull, because I am used to normal mode. There are rumours that Samsung is implementing a Vividness setting, according to a tipster, see the link below.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s24_vividness_fix_toggle_update-news-61522.php

The screen has been tested independently by a German company, and it is proven to be better and brighter. It seems that Samsung is following Apple's lead on displaying more natural colours. Colours on Samsung phones have been over saturated, and they have been severely criticised for it.

The videos on the S24 Ultra take advantage of HDR and they might not look as bright on the phone itself, they should look well on a different device. So, it should still be a very good phone for content creation.

I found that using portrait mode, or pro mode for video or photo, the quality is very decent. Another app that could be use is Expert Raw, it extends the capabilities of the camera. After installing Expert Raw, it also gets "integrated" in the stock camera app.

There are usually two things that improve drastically and quickly in my experience. One is the camera; the other one is battery performance. The first one due to software updates and the second after it finishes its learning period.

Of course, it is your prerogative to return the phone or not. That is a very personal decision.

0 Likes
JH97
Student
Options

I'm first into my samsung phone. Will the camera actually get better after update? Or I should return the phone for warranty check?

0 Likes