Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S24 Ultra - Camera shift and barn door transition issue while zooming

(Topic created on: 02-02-2024 07:40 PM)
y2kviv
Apprentice
Options
l want to bring to your attention a concerning issue I have encountered with my recently received Galaxy s24 Ultra, which I pre-ordered on samsung.com and received on January 24th.

Upon using the device, I have observed a significant image shift problem when switching between zoom lenses (3x,5x etc) in auto mode. Also I have noticed a barn door  type of transition happening in the camera viewfinder while switching to 3x and 5x lenses. Despite my attempts to replicate the issue in Samsung store devices, I was unable to do so. This leads me to believe that the problem lies within the hardware of my device indicating a potential defect. I'm not sure this is something that could be fixed over a software update either.

I have also come across multiple instances on social media, such as the tweet linked below, where other users are experiencing the same camera issue: [Link to Twitter post: https://twitter.com/smasithick/status/1752733526586491319.]

As a loyal Samsung user for an extended period, I am disappointed that such a quality concern exists in a flagship device. I have high expectations for the performance and reliability of Samsung's products. and this issue falls short of those expectations.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to a swift resolution.

Issue 1: Barn door transition
Here you can clearly see that the barn door transition happening while switching from 2x zoom to 3x and from 3x to 5x. The transition itself starts from the center and expand to all edges of the viewfinder.

Issue 2: Camera Shift
Here you can clearly see that the image inside viewfinder shifts while switching from from 3x to 5x and vice versa.

Go to solution
55 REPLIES 55
akam1212
Pioneer
Options
I have exactly the same problem, I don't hope that this problem will be solved by the software update, as a result, I will return the phone and probably get an iPhone.
0 Likes
Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

Just now  I checked In Raw Expert App it works fine, but only issue in the default camera App, I feel it's software bug

Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

Even I installed 3rd party camera app it was fine, sure something with software issue. 

0 Likes
Encōde
Pioneer
Options

S24+ owner here (not Ultra).

I have exactly the same problem. I have noticed it especially when going from x1 to x3 lens, but also when switching close/far focus. The image moves, like a lot... and there is also that barn door effect transition

I have tried other 3rd party apps like "Camera HD" and the exact same thing happens. Looks like hardware issue. Will ask for a device replacements, this is unacceptable.

0 Likes
Bethski
Explorer
Options
I have the same shift issue on standard camera zooming in/out but not via expert raw app which makes me think its more a software glitch and an update may help. Unfortunately diagnostics only checks the camera takes a photo, no zoom test . But good idea to contact samsung experience shop see if they know a fix is on the way must be alot of folk asking about it. Although I hope they don't say bring phone in, nearest store is Edinburgh. Then again, any excuse to hit the amazing charity shops - which is all I can afford now, along with baked beans on toast for next 12mths, oh the joys of buying an s24u - haha - nae regrets 😜
0 Likes
Randaximus
Journeyman
Options

I noted this on a Twitter post. expertRAW camera app doesn't shift. And I can't imagine the standard camera app uses the software differently than another one. Seems likely to be software. Maybe even some AI setting we're not aware of in the code setup for future use that's buggy. I can live with it as long as it won't cause major issues later. 

0 Likes
Radio83
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issues. Tested in the store and the device on display had it too. I don't have the shift in Pro camera mode which makes me hopeful for improvement with a softwate update. I can still return the device but not sure a different one won't have the same issue...

0 Likes
Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

Waiting for the bug fix in upcoming update

0 Likes
Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

99.9% it's software issue (bug) 

0 Likes
Charm_City_Espresso
First Poster
Options

My two cents on the issues noted in this thread,

1. Lens/subject shift. This is real, abrupt, and annoying as heck. However, it’s not a hardware defect. This happens on my Fold 5, albeit to a lesser extent. The manic subject shift that some people are experiencing is largely due in part to an over eager ‘focus assist’ setting in the default app. Disable that and notice the improvement.

2. The so-called ‘barn door’ transition effect. This is also real, but I am convinced might actually be a feature rather than a flaw. The different lenses have different apertures and therefore react differently to light. This also happens on my Fold 5. The new 5x lens has a pretty high aperture f/3.4 which means it takes in the least light of all the lenses (ie: darker pics). The ‘barn-door’ effect might be a software tweak on the part of Samsung to make the transitions between different apertures easier on the eye. Frankly? I find it annoying. However, there’s an argument to be made that it is an improvement.