Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S24 Ultra - Camera shift and barn door transition issue while zooming

(Topic created on: 02-02-2024 07:40 PM)
y2kviv
Apprentice
Options
l want to bring to your attention a concerning issue I have encountered with my recently received Galaxy s24 Ultra, which I pre-ordered on samsung.com and received on January 24th.

Upon using the device, I have observed a significant image shift problem when switching between zoom lenses (3x,5x etc) in auto mode. Also I have noticed a barn door  type of transition happening in the camera viewfinder while switching to 3x and 5x lenses. Despite my attempts to replicate the issue in Samsung store devices, I was unable to do so. This leads me to believe that the problem lies within the hardware of my device indicating a potential defect. I'm not sure this is something that could be fixed over a software update either.

I have also come across multiple instances on social media, such as the tweet linked below, where other users are experiencing the same camera issue: [Link to Twitter post: https://twitter.com/smasithick/status/1752733526586491319.]

As a loyal Samsung user for an extended period, I am disappointed that such a quality concern exists in a flagship device. I have high expectations for the performance and reliability of Samsung's products. and this issue falls short of those expectations.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to a swift resolution.

Issue 1: Barn door transition
Here you can clearly see that the barn door transition happening while switching from 2x zoom to 3x and from 3x to 5x. The transition itself starts from the center and expand to all edges of the viewfinder.

Issue 2: Camera Shift
Here you can clearly see that the image inside viewfinder shifts while switching from from 3x to 5x and vice versa.

Go to solution
55 REPLIES 55
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

If you take the image does it look as it should? If yes, then not an issue, in my mind 

0 Likes
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
This post reads like a post generated by an AI powered keyboard 😂.
I don't know, watching the video doesn't shock me. I expect switching between lense will cause some shifting, especially with objects within a room. Maybe try outside on something further away. Maybe the lighting also affects that barn door effect. I'm assuming inside the Samsung shop it's pretty well lit. As others suggested, if you think it's a problem take it to Samsung, maybe do a side by side with a store device and yours to make a point.
0 Likes
Dammy3
Journeyman
Options
I'll do it the next time I'm at Currys or the other place with S24U. I don't know anyone with S24 Ultra, that's why I'm trying to check if this could be a software issue or hardware. If all s24 ultras have this problem, then software, but if only some that would indicate otherwise, isn't it? I'll be checking with Samsung tomorrow to see if they are aware of the problem. BTW. When I try further away, it doesn't look so bad. Just when zooming in on some closer objects, I have a problem with the camera shift.
0 Likes
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
I tried it on mine earlier and I could see some image shift when switching between lenses, definitely not as much as the S23U though. And I can also see that barn door effect when pointing my phone to a bright light. Both of which are just software, trying to make it as seamless as possible.
0 Likes
Em gaming
First Poster
Options

Any update? How about when using it on sunny day? 

0 Likes
Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

I have image shift issue. I see a shift in the subject while taking a pic.Can be observed only when we try to zoom Esp the nearer object. Also I hear cracking sound while zoom in and out.Not sure, it's H/W or S/W issue.If it's hardware then need to replace it.

0 Likes
Dammy3
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for checking that. I guess if all of us have this issue, then this is just software, and I hope the next update will fix it. It'd be good to hear from more users of S24 ultra if they experience this issue, or some statement from Samsung confirming that they are aware of the issue and what they plan to do with it. It's really annoying when recording video and you try to zoom on anything.
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
I don't think it's an issue though. That's what happens when switching lenses that are physically located at different places. The S23U was worse for that and so to me this is an improvement already. I'm sure they can improve even more (for example on iPhones it's way smoother) but I wouldn't say this is a problem.
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
Cracking sounds worrying. Can you describe a bit more?
0 Likes
Techgeek_nit
Apprentice
Options

Lens click sound when zoomed in and out 

0 Likes