Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProMode: has anyone been able to get an answer why Samsung destroyed RAW photo support in 2023?

(Topic created on: 22-04-2024 12:25 PM)
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Before 02/2023 with firmware CWB7 (and older) on the S22 Ultra Samsung gave us useable RAW files in ProMode:

• shadow and highlight recovery superior to the jpg

• Adobe AI De-Noise compatible

With CWCE and newer (including following devices as the S23 and S24 series) the dng files became completely obsolete, losing all the features that make a RAW photo a RAW photo. It's now just another less compressed JPG copy in a DNG container.

So far, customer support has never given a useful answer to this, so my question is: Has anyone else received a useful response?

Screenshot 2024-04-07 092551.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
Idk but Samsung has to take it seriously that there are problems with the camera module and fix it. As long as cameras on Samsung phones are really good, full of features and customisable in such a great way that you can't find it on other phones, camera performance is taking over from other companies that in some camera aspects are doing better. Samsung can do way better than how they started the year concerning the camera module. More wide aperture both selfie and primary camera would be welcome, I think wide aperture on the main camera has been a bit narrowed from the last update; I would love less picture noise and more sharpness, also don't forget about sharpness while using the zoom needs to be worked on; maintaining settings and camera filters while using 50MP and 200MP cameras needs to be worked on. Selfie camera, while I am happy with it when I took selfies of myself I could catch a good amount of detail, when I included another person in the selfie, we could barely fit in the picture. 😔 please please please Samsung, the Camera performs really well tbh, I have compared it with othe phones while watching videos, and I find that is the most versatile and potent camera on the market, but there are serious issues you have to take seriously and fix them please.
0 Likes
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Samsung has a lot to catch up:

• other phones do real raw (Samsung used to do it)
  • Sony has eye tracking AF for humans and animals (Samsung has object tracking only with 12MP)
  • Pixel and Apple have a good movement detection and use a higher shutterspeeds for moving subjects
  • Apple Camera API even supports to set a minimum shutterspeed (Samsung used to have a Sports Mode)
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
Spot on. 👍
0 Likes