Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off Image post processing?

(Topic created on: 17-03-2024 10:55 PM)
MausC
Pioneer
Options

Is there an alternate application or option to turn off post processing completely on the stock camera app?

I really dislike that images after a second or two in the gallery "upscale" and change. (usually negatively impacting the image by making detail streaky and chsnging the colour balance) In my opinion the sample prior to this upscaling taking place is generally far better and more natural.

I have super HDR off in the gallery application and have image optimisation at minimum but can't seem to find a way to completely disable the post processing on photos I take. 

It seems far worse at 50mp and 200mp, where I would expect far more detail when zooming in on an image but instead it's "optimised" erasing all detail.  Expert RAW and Pro camera still have this post processing also. 

10 REPLIES 10
Star_girl
Hotshot
Options
I don't mind the processing, although not all pictures need post processing. I hope Samsung will take note of this for a future update and make post processing optional, as well as the level of processing you need. I think they were well intended, but over did it a little bit. You are not the only one complaining about it.
MausC
Pioneer
Options

It seems ridiculous to not have an off option. The worst part is I see the image I want prior to the two second spinner and it changing into edited garbage with no undo button. 

Haytch
Helping Hand
Options
I agree. Samsung needs to give us an option of post processing. Like for example when we capture the image do we want it exactly how it looks on the screen or do we want a optimised version.

Samsung does have options already but I still think they overprocess the image even at minimal.

The same wya Samsung gave us a vivid slider to choose how much colour we want. They should do a similar one for the camera
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I agree with you all @MausC , @Star_girl  and @Haytch, that the option should be there.

However, some post-processing will remain no matter what unless shooting in Raw format, to get a JPG some post-processing must be done. The algorithm must be improved to get better results.

There is also the argument that the majority of users will want to point and shoot, the results must be good enough to keep them happy. Otherwise we will have the same complains that the camera is not good.

I have said many times that the stock camera needs some improvements and they are coming. I just posted news about some Zoom fixing.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s24-series/camera-update-s24-ultra/m-p/9461903

Another thing to check is that Gallery is not doing "clever" things. You could take the picture to another device and see how it looks there. I mentioned this because the The S22 Ultra has the slow and super slow motion capabilities. I took some videos using the slow motion and the Gallery was showing them on normal speed, but taking the video to a pc and playing there it was in slow motion. I think that even playing the video with a different video player would play it on slow motion.

These are issues that should be fixed once the firmware/apps mature a bit more.

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

ProMode, just don't expect it to create workable dng files.

MausC
Pioneer
Options

The problem is Pro mode still seems to do some amount post processing that can be observed when opening the gallery app after taking a photo. 

After a second or two there is a notable colour shift especially at 50mp. 

I know 99% of people are probably happy with the results but why there is not an option to disable this is baffling to me as the lowest option is "minimum" and not off. 

MausC
Pioneer
Options

Added some sample images of another issue related to the 50MP camera.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s24-series/s24-ultra-loss-of-detail-when-using-50-mp-came...

0 Likes
Juli3n
Hotshot
Options
Have you tried the Camera Assistant module from the GoodLock app? It has a bunch of additional settings like removing picture smoothing and such.
MausC
Pioneer
Options

I have already unfortunately. Still the same issues 

0 Likes