Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear s3 frontier not working with s24 ultra

(Topic created on: 4 weeks ago)
woodlouse
Helping Hand
Options
I've just tried to set up my gear s3 frontier watch with my new s24 ultra and keep getting a message saying that Samsung no longer support this device. So what, - do I just chuck it in the bin now? 😡😡
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Yes unfortunately they are not compatible. 

Luckily I had the watch ⁴ Classic to still use. 

I also bought the watch⁶ Classic. 

My Samsung Gear s³ frontier is now redundant unless I use my s²³ Ultra. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
It is a sad world where everyone talks about recycling and zero carbon, and yet a perfectly working device is then left unsupported ... but it seems that some things have a limited timespan for support.

The frontier watch was released in 2016... some 8 years ago... and is based upon the older Tizen operating system.

I guess there comes a time when samsung and other manufacturers have to assess the costs of supporting very old products... or removing them. Of course they usually only support 3 years by contract terms and some newer devices have had an extension to 5 years. To support a very old device probably means a lot of extra testing on every software release and I just wonder how many users of the 8 year old watch are still using it.

It is sad when the world becomes a throw away market, but it seems in your case this time may be up.

I would personally keep it... often each year trade in deals for 'any smartwatch' will accrue £100 off the newest model.

I feel your pain, but perhaps it is time to consider that upgrade 🤔

Smiley
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
woodlouse
Helping Hand
Options
That's ridiculous. 😡
woodlouse
Helping Hand
Options
Except that I've just paid in full for my new phone!
0 Likes
OmegaMutant
Voyager
Options
As others have said, there will always be a time where tech will no longer be supported with newer models.

That's just the way it is. We cant expect a manufacturer to indefinitely support a product.

The option is to sell it then buy a new one. Wait till you can trade it in for a new model. Or return the phone and buy one that is compatible with your watch.
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Yeah I mean keep the older watch in a drawer until you can trade it for a good deal... or I am sure it can still be used standalone for a while...
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Pjc21
Navigator
Options
I have a galaxy watch 3.
It worked with my s24 ultra reporting heart rate and such when I got my phone after difficulty getting to connect.
Then think it was last month there was an update and my watch no longer records constant heart rate or stress.

I'm sure they break things deliberately in the hope people buy the latest watch.

There's not a mark on my watch, I can make calls from it independently but can't work properly with s24 ultra.

At the same time my phone can connect to any laptop, doesn't even need to be the latest laptop. or an old Bluetooth thermometer but can't do full functionality on an older watch.
They obviously use forced obsolete by choice to screw over the customer and make more money, whilst trying to green wash as been a company who cares about unnecessary waste.
Pjc21
Navigator
Options
The funny thing is, they would make more future sales through me in the long run, if I trusted them as a company as and when I want to upgrade things.
However by playing things this way, I'm more likely to look too other companies for my future tech going forward.
woodlouse
Helping Hand
Options
It can't. When I start it up, it just does the "let's get started" thing. Then I get the not supported message 😪
0 Likes