Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't upragde to S24 Ultra if you do RAW photography.

(Topic created on: 12-02-2024 11:44 AM)
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

ProMode is completely broken.

GGEFa4gXwAAnAGD.jpg

comparison.jpg

norawsupport.jpg

provsrealraw.jpg

What needs to be done:

ProMode:

• revert the decision to use JPG XL in the DNG container, go back to using a non demosaiced format, so Adobes Noise reduction can work with it
  • fix that the main purpose of a raw file is broken (having more dynamic range as the jpg)

ExpertRAW:

• same as with ProMode, I don't see any advantage in the DNG compared to the jpg in dynamic range

Maybe they just did the JPG XL implementation wrong?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 121236.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

What needs to be done:

ProMode:

• revert the decision to use JPG XL in the DNG container, go back to using a non demosaiced format, so Adobes Noise reduction can work with it
  • fix that the main purpose of a raw file is broken (having more dynamic range as the jpg)

ExpertRAW:

• same as with ProMode, I don't see any advantage in the DNG compared to the jpg in dynamic range

Maybe they just did the JPG XL implementation wrong?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 121236.jpg

TFPHOTO
First Poster
Options

Completely agree.

ProMode needs to produce proper Raw files we can use Adobe Denoise on. A plus would be to get the sensor resolution in these Raw files, instead of the capped 12mp camera2 api limit.

I realize ExpertRaw is your version of Adobe Denoise already applied...keep on improving here, go nuts...no issue.

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Another test with a another 3rd party camera app:

provsrealraw.jpg

stdmje
Student
Options

I returned mine because if this. Samsung should fix it!

Taylor Passofaro
Journeyman
Options

+100 to this. Samsung please fix this, not just on the S24 series, but also on the S23 series. Stop wrapping a jpeg in a dng. Maybe keep that option for people who like it (or even make it default if you really want people to use it) but please please give us the option of a pure raw file so real photographers can make your products shine.

And while you're at it open up 50mp and 200mp modes to 3rd party raw apps. We can make even more beautiful images if you do.

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

The update did not fix anything.

K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

This is definitely something they can fix with a software update as the hardware is already capable enough. The real question is how much NOISE we need to make for Samsung to take action.

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Another comparison with a 3rd party app that is capable of producing a useable raw file:

norawsupport.jpg

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Obviously more.