Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't upragde to S24 Ultra if you do RAW photography.

(Topic created on: 12-02-2024 11:44 AM)
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

ProMode is completely broken.

GGEFa4gXwAAnAGD.jpg

comparison.jpg

norawsupport.jpg

provsrealraw.jpg

What needs to be done:

ProMode:

• revert the decision to use JPG XL in the DNG container, go back to using a non demosaiced format, so Adobes Noise reduction can work with it
  • fix that the main purpose of a raw file is broken (having more dynamic range as the jpg)

ExpertRAW:

• same as with ProMode, I don't see any advantage in the DNG compared to the jpg in dynamic range

Maybe they just did the JPG XL implementation wrong?

Screenshot 2024-03-04 121236.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
JCodeShelver
First Poster
Options

I don't even do pro-level photography, but stumbled into this mess by going down a rabbit hole of taking good photos with the knobs and dials I can use with Pro mode, and wondering if Expert RAW was better. As I can see, both are subpar, and all that needs to change is Samsung to make their stock camera app better. Smh

K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

@SmartphoneRAW any news from Adobe about them reaching out to Samsung for this? If we cannot get some big players to ding Samsung's bells, then for sure this will be my last Samsung. I am slowly getting fed up with their *****.

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
0 Likes
White7561
First Poster
Options

I just got an Expert RAW update. Can't test it right now but can anyone see if it's better on the new version? 

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

A quick test looked like it has improved, no more banding effects.

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Before update:

photo1709304271.jpeg

 After update:

photo1709304271 (1).jpeg

Yes it's still mushed but this is brightened up extremely, it's processed raw so it won't show classical clean noise. Be the color banding is gone.

SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

I just checked an old photo from April 2022 from the S22U. Everything works, highlight recovery, Adobe De-Noise. But of course RAW support has been removed from the S22U with updates too.

K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

So in other words, we are right. It is all there, Samsung needs to give it back to us. STAT! PROPER! 😁😎

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
0 Likes
_Lee_
Journeyman
Options
Beginner here and only had the phone a week but I have noticed some of the issues. From what I gather from the feed is for post processing ExpertRAW is the better option currently?

I do notice the Pro mode has better colour accuracy and Expert mode just seems well over saturated and sharp.

Please for the love of God can you recommend a settling point for me for taking landscale shots as my brain is fried trying to learn so much as a beginner enthusiast!
0 Likes