Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display problem... Samsung please explain this!!!

(Topic created on: 22-02-2024 09:53 PM)
PyCoder
Explorer
Options

Can someone at Samsung explain this and still claim the S24  has no display issues?

2 shots of the S24 Ultra and 1 of my old S10+

EDIT:

So I made pictures and videos both devices playing the same video with the same settings.
The S24 U gets somehow triggered by this 2023 LG OLED l Color Art 4K HDR 60fps - YouTube and other LG HDR videos (found in another thread).

Also I have the grainyness and three horizontal lines on my display like other people already claimed.

If I turn on eye comfort it's even getting worst, as example the black background in the Samsung browser is suddently greyish, like the video or the black in the App "Display Tester" is greyish.

Neither happens on my old S10+.

So how does Samsung explain that black on a OLED, which means the pixel is off, turns into this grainy mess?

Last shot S24 U vs S10+ both with these settings
Auto brightness --> ON
Eye comfort --> OFF
Adaptive brithness --> ON
Screen mode --> Vivid
Vividness --> Maxed out (updated today)
Screen resolution --> Maxed out
Video brightness --> Bright

Changing the settings doesn't help at all on the S24 U, and thanks to Samsung I can't even return the phone without losing 10%, because I was so stupid to wait for the update that apparently would fix alle display issues according to the Samsung support!!!!

EDIT 3: So the issue is called "mura" and is a hardware issue: https://confit.atlas.jp/guide/event-img/idw2019/OLEDp1-8/public/pdf_archive?type=in 

Edit 4:
Uniformity according to DXOMark.com:
iPhone 15 Pro vs Google Pixel 8 Pro vs Samsung 24 Ultra.

Fun fact all devices use displays from Samsung, guess which phone has the worst display in terms of uniformity? 

Screenshot from 2024-02-24 13-25-45.pngScreenshot from 2024-02-24 13-26-21.pngScreenshot from 2024-02-24 13-26-56.png

S24U-high-iso.jpgS24U-autobalance.jpgS10+.jpg

1708681245028.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Mimo40
Helping Hand
Options
What settings are you using taking pics
DrMips
Pathfinder
Options
It looks like your have a faulty phone. The picture on my S24 Ultra looks amazing.
0 Likes
DrMips
Pathfinder
Options
I did once have a brand new phone that had a similar problem. It turned out that the glue used to bond the layers of the screen together had not been formulated correctly, and it slowly turned in to a grainy mess as the glue heated and went off.
0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi @PyCoder 

Are you trying to show a picture of the same object taken with both devices? Or are you trying to show how the same image is displayed on both devices?

There is a difference between, "the S24 does not have a display issue" and "my/a S24 does not have a display issue". The first statement refers to the series. The second to a unique device.

The series is general does not have a display issue, but this does not exclude several units from being faulty, which your phone might well be faulty.

0 Likes
PyCoder
Explorer
Options

Dude, there are plenty of people complaining about the display on samsung UK, samsung US, samsung EU and Reddit.

So I'm not the only one and because yours is fine or you can't see the issue it doesn't mean that only mine is faulty.

https://www.techradar.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-phones/samsung-galaxy-s24-owners-report-frankly-unac...

I sent pictures to the Samsung support and they told me that's "a normal and the Displays are fine tuned and a update is coming". 

Thanks to Samsung I can't even return the phone without losing 10%, because I was so stupid to wait for the update which arrived today and changed nothing!

1708681245028.jpg

0 Likes
PyCoder
Explorer
Options

I bumped on the first picture the ISO to make the grain more visible on camera.
In the last picture the camera is on auto and took a picture of both phones side by side, the grain/color difference is visible like crazy.

0 Likes
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Dude read my post again. Where did you get that you are the only one with a faulty screen because mine is fine?

My last paragraph:

The series is general does not have a display issue, but this does not exclude several units from being faulty, which your phone might well be faulty.

If the S24 series has a problem, then most of the phones will have it and few might not. If a few have a problem, does not mean that the whole series has the problem.

I asked you what you were trying to show, because it was not clear from the initial pictures that your posted.

0 Likes
PyCoder
Explorer
Options

Sorry, I'm a little annoyed so.

According to a poll on Reddit 151 people out of 358 are affected and I don't wanna know how many people just didn't notice the issue yet or replaced/returned the phone without complaining online.

For me this is a mess and Samsung "scammed" the people by telling everyone the update would fix it, so the people would wait till the return period is over. Now  people have to repair a brand new phone, sell it or give it back and lose money. 

MorningBlunt
Helping Hand
Options
I mean if the nerds at reddit are affected...

MB
0 Likes