Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible battery life on brand new s23

(Topic created on: 05-01-2024 10:45 PM)
matzis
Apprentice
Options

As the title suggests I'm having serious issues with the battery on a brand new (10 days top) s23 256G

I have changed most of the options to off like syncing etc, I have chosen"light" performance mode, I don't use a lot of heavy apps bland still struggling to get 5 hours of on screen time. From the moment I unplug from wall charger it drops 1-2% in the first few minutes.

Should I go get it replaced/repaired?

1000005079.jpg

1000005080.jpg

1000005081.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @matzis 

It can take a couple of weeks for your phone to leave the learning phase which is where the phone and battery optimise to reach optimum output. 

In that battery section have a look at what is using your battery and either adjust it's preference settings if possible and or look at sleep and deep sleep options. 

There is also the optomise tool found in Device Care. 

I can also see that your Network Signal Connection is low which would mean the phone is possibly working harder to maintain connection. 

Take into account it can take several charge and discharge cycles for the battery to reach optimum output. 

In Settings , Connections,  Mobile Networks look at Network Mode to turn off 5G if you don't use that particular connection as it can use lots of resources. i.e change it to 4G/Lte. 

Also look at your location settings section.

Vampire apps like Facebook etc are set up to use resources in the bavkground. Some other apps work in the same way. 

In my opinion Google Chrome uses a lot more resources than Samsung Internet App. 

Set your phobe to stop scannkng in the background for other devices. 

A couple of generic troubleshooting steps are >

There is a diagnostic tool found in your Samsung Members App too.

If you perform a forum search you'll find lots of tips to help. 

A service centre can assess your phone especially if your phone is out of any relevant cooling off period timeframe. 

Samsung Support Links > https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-if-the-battery-of-my-new-phone-seems-to... 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
To be honest the battery on the small s23 won't be that good from the word get go it has a small battery inside. 5 hours screen time is pretty good. If your a power user consider returning if you can and choose a larger s23. For me I love the size of the base model but I had to get the ultra purely because I wanted outstanding battery and is the only phone in the s line up that will last me 1-2 days. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with your phone.
matzis
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses!

As for most of the settings like "nearby device searching, background apps, sleep/deep sleep" I have already turned them off/optimized. Same for advanced features like motion detection. The only setting I'm not willing to sacrifice is 120 hz refresh rate, honestly when I turn it off since I'm already used to it from my previous phone it looks really slow with 60 hz.

Moreover, 5G is also an option I pretty much need, but I turn off mobile data when I don't use them.

"Device care" reports phone is in Good Condition as well.

As for going for the Plus/ultra model, all my previous phones where around this screen size: 5.8-6.1 so that's the size I'm comfortable with. It's a same tho the larger phones get to enjoy a much larger battery 😢 overall I wouldn't say I'm a power user, I havent installed a single game or heavy app, I use my phone more as a tool to answer emails, check and manage my accounts in banking, investment etc, and a little bit of social usage like messenger, what's app and Instagram.

Anyway I think I will wait a few more days, a week maybe for the learning phase to end and I hope I get better results otherwise I'll go get it checked.

AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Yea you don't want to shut features off I agree with that. If you getting 5 hours sot I don't think it's too bad for that phone small samsungs have always struggled I had an s21 which would only get me into the evening. Hopefully in a few days it will improve for you. If not you could get it checked just incase. I get big phones are not for everyone.
0 Likes
davehorne
Hotshot
Options

I was expecting to see a screenshot of Settings / Device care / Battery and x number hours and minutes left.

After that last major update (One UI 6. 0 / Android 14), my numbers worsened though got better as time went on.

I'd be interested in knowing what your numbers are under Settings / Device care / Battery. 

1000007455.jpg

1000007456.jpg

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
matzis
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the reply. I am uploading the requested info.

1000005085.jpg

This seems really good, today so far I've not really used the phone almost at all tho so maybe the time remaining it's just a virtual number..?

Also yesterday I put to auto sleep the "vampire" apps like Facebook as BandofBrothers suggested and it seems to have positive effects.

davehorne
Hotshot
Options

That 15+ hours remaining isn't bad and I'm sure the number will increase as the phone learns your habits.

Just so you know, I used to use wireless charging throughout my house during the day but I now only charge my phone when I go to bed.  The charge level at bedtime is 30+ percent.

I think you're doing just fine.    

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
5 hours SOT is not bad.

Depends on apps used.

Check background data and location permissions in app permissions as these are the most battery hoggers.

It's advisable to keep everything auto/adaptive and let the phone do its thing.

Also do keep checking now and then for app updates in both Samsung and Google play store.

Happy days. 😊
"WI-FI went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family.
They seem like nice people"
sultar
First Poster
Options

how many weeks should I wait for the battery to get better even after the last update I feel it was worst I just bought the brand new 23 plus

0 Likes