Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power button issue

(Topic created on: 16-02-2023 01:05 PM)
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

In Settings / Advanced Features / Side Key / Press and Hold, I have Power Menu enabled.

The power button does nothing until  I go back, choose Bixby and then re enable Power Menu.  The side button will only work for a while, the Setting doesn't appear to stick, if you know what I mean.

Anyone else have this issue? 

Watch4 Classic
Galaxy S24 Ultra / 512 GB / Microsoft Launcher / Spigen Thin Fit case
15 REPLIES 15
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Nope, mine is working perfectly fine
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

My problem seems to have vanished.  There was a small update to MS Launcher.  I don't know if the launcher was part of this issue ... or not, but the side key now works as expected.  Curious.

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

Ignore my previous post, the issue did not go away.  Pressing the side button does nothing though pressing it twice still brings up the camera.

Maybe someone else will have this same issue. 

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Possibly a widget or app you installed which alters the power button functionality maybe?

For me, other than my cheap case making pressing the side buttons a hassle, they work perfectly fine. Single press turns my phone screen on and off. Hold brings up the power menu and double press I've set to turn the torch on/off.

I hope you find the root of your issue.
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

I don't know what's causing this issue. 

A short depress on the Side Key (that's how Samsung labels it) brings screen off, a double depress opens the camera, and a long depress still does nothing. 

I'm aware of a long depress of the side key and volume down at the same time to open the shutdown menu while a short depress takes a screenshot.  :smiling-face: 

This isn't a major issue, but I'll keep looking. 

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
davehorne
Troubleshooter
Options

Fingers crossed, I think I solved this issue. 

When I first setup the phone I started but didn't complete the setup of Bixby.  

I just now registered my voice with Bixby, used it somewhat, and turned it off. 

Once I registered my voice and opened Bixby for use, the Side key worked as expected and continues to work as expected. 

So, it would seem my particular issue with the Side key was possibly linked to Bixby.  This is just my personal thoughts  ... and I've been wrong before.  :smiling-face:

At any rate, this is / was a minor issue, and it seems I was the only one to experience it.

EDIT - Ignore once again my post, the problem still exists.  

I'd feel better if someone else also has this minor problem.  

Sorry to take up everyone's time. 

Watch4 Classic
0 Likes
jellen1
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same issue! Just got my s23 ultra this week and the long press to get the power menu works once. As you said, if you go to "side key" and reset, it will work only once again. Frustrating pain to reset the unit. I have not found any solution to this issue. Hey Samsung! Fix this! 

0 Likes
David 777
Student
Options

My issue is similar, except mine brings up Google Assistant. I haven't figured out yet when it reverts to this function after the little Bixby switcharoo... So far it's been a day since I played with the settings...

0 Likes
Dwaynez
First Poster
Options

I am having the same problem on my S22. I have other settings that do not seem to be saved propertly. For example, Settings | Notifications | Do Not Disturb | Calls and Messages - adding contacts does not seem persistent. I come back to the setting and the contacts I have added have disappeared.

For the power menu, the option is still selected, but I get a message saying that the action in not set. Selecting Wake Bixby and then power off menu restores the Press and hold, but only for a while. Sounds like some bugs in the settings app.

0 Likes