Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing front camera

(Topic created on: 01-02-2023 09:59 PM)
Snapper99
Voyager
Options
Seems the front camera on the S23 Ultra downgrade to 12MP from the S22 Ultra's 40MP

Hopefully the software will kind of balance things out and there will be no reduction in the photo quality and sharpness? 

I use the one on my S22 Ultra a lot for getting photos in those awkward spots in electrical switchgear and feeder pillars.

Current Phone S23 Ultra (1TB)
16 REPLIES 16
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
MP is not as important as people think, I have pro cameras with 12mp output. There are more important factors
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Mpx are nothing in photography, it is often the other way around in the fact the previous 108 mpx sensors where worse compared to previous 12 mpx ones or the competition. Wait for the reviews I would say, however I am pretty sure that this 12 mpx sensor is better than the previous 40 mpx one.

Mpx are just a marketing number.

Archer
0 Likes
Cliffg
Voyager
Options
If you look at the pictures it produces they look much better. There are some examples on YouTube.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You will love the selfie camera even better.
The Pro mode is definitely worth a try if you really wanna go crazy with your selfies . Lots of settings and stuff to play with.
Nightflame
Explorer
Options

I have a Samsung A40 and according to the specs the front camera is better than the S23 front camera.

S23 = 12 MP, f/2.2, 26mm, 1.3" v A40 = 25 MP,  f/2.0, 25mm (wide), 1/2.8"

Bigger sensor, faster lens (better for low light) and more mega pixels?

Or am I comparing these wrongly?

I am looking for a good Camera Phone, but have some concerns over the front camera on the Samsung S23. It would seem the A54 has similar main back camera and better front camera. Surely this cannot be correct?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Nightflame: While it might seem like the Galaxy S23 front camera has lower specifications than the Galaxy A40, it has a larger sensor, and advanced software such Dual Pixel, which improves focussing and colour accuracy. If you'd like to find out more about Dual Pixel, and what it offers, then please take a look at the link below.

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/newsroom/tech-blog/dual-pixel-pro-improved-autofocus-to-allow-you-....

0 Likes
Nightflame
Explorer
Options

I can see how dual pixel can be useful for focusing.

But the A40 has a bigger sensor for the front camera at 5.18x3.89 v S23 4.48x3.36 (from Device Info HW app).

And as far as I know thw 25mpx Front camera on the A40 uses Pixel binning which improves HDR and low light shots. Not sure at 12mpx the S23 does pixel binning.

The A54 looks more interesting for front camera.

So I am still confused.

0 Likes