Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck in beta for Android 13 / One UI 5 despite updating

(Topic created on: 30-12-2022 11:43 AM)
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

Every time I restart my phone I get a message stating that the phone is using beta software.

I had joined the beta programme for Android 13 / One UI 5 back in mid 2022.

That ended and I upgraded (i thought) to the official release.

It seems the phone didn't though.

I have contacted Samsung support through chat but after 90 minutes they told me that I had to go through the Members app to post a question there, as only developers - not tech support - could help in this case.

So, I have now 'asked a question' through that app and await a reply.

~Andrew~

Here is the transcript of my chat with the Samsung technical support bot and then agent:

Spoiler

Logo of Samsung UK Support
Chat Support
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Wed, Dec 28
Wed, Dec 28
If you have any questions about how we Samsung Electronics UK Limited, use your personal information you can find out more at www.samsung.com/uk/info/privacy under the heading “Live Chat Privacy Policy”.

If you are using a shared device, please delete the conversation history by clicking three vertical dots "⋮", then select “delete chat”.
What do you need help with?

Help me buy

Help me with my order

Technical product support
‎12:35 PM
Technical product support
Please select one of the following:

Product Queries

Track an Existing Repair
Product Queries
Please select your product type from the list below

Smartphones & Wearables

Tablets

TV & AV

Home Appliances

Computing & Monitors

Cameras
Smartphones & Wearables
Hi Andrew Reeves-Hall, I’m Samsung’s Chatbot, I'm able to answer many questions, however I’m continually learning so if I'm unable to help you then I’ll connect you to a Samsung Support Expert.
To begin support with our chatbot, please select one of the below options:
The options for you to select from are as follows.

I can't unlock the display of my device

I can't redeem a promotional Disney+ subscription

My screen protector is peeling, bubbling or lifting

What is the status of my repair?

How do I change the two-step verification phone number for my Samsung Account?

None of above. Let me type what I need help with.
None of above. Let me type what I need help with.
In 3 to 15 words, please let me know what I can help you with.
reinstall android 13
‎12:36 PM
Sorry, I didn’t catch that. Please could you provide some more detail about your query?
beta message keeps popping up
I understand that you are looking to join the OneUI beta, is that correct?
Choose one of the following options

Yes

No
No
Please may I connect you to one of our Samsung Support Experts (agent)?
Choose one of the following options

Yes, I want to connect to a Samsung Support Expert.

No, I want to quit the chat.
Yes, I want to connect to a Samsung Support Expert.
Thank you for choosing Samsung Live Chat. We will connect you to an expert shortly.
hello?
‎12:45 PM
Hello Andrew! Welcome to Samsung Support! My name is Rochelle. Please allow me a few moments to read through your enquiry. While I’m doing that, how are you doing today?
‎12:46 PM
Hi Rochelle.
I have an issue with my Samsung S22 Ultra.
I bought it direct through the Samsung website
I understand that you are receiving a message in regard with software update on your device, and I'm sorry that you have to dealt with that issue. Nothing to worry, since you have me here right now, rest assured that I will help you with this.
yes, after a reboot, I get the message that this is beta software
I was in the beta programme but that ended.
Now phone won't update beyond Aug 2022 security patch!
phone says I am up to date.
‎12:47 PM
Thank you for letting me know this, Andrew. Also, you've been transferred to me, as our chatbot was unable to answer your query.

May I please know if this is the first time you're contacting about this issue?
‎12:49 PM
yes
I did post in the community forum but to no avail.
‎12:49 PM
I see. Just to set your expectation, I may need to ask a few more questions to further isolate your query about your device, and we will perform a series of troubleshooting steps to sort it. If these will not work, we'll be looking into the next best resolution available for you.

Would that be fine?
‎12:50 PM
perfect
May I know when did you purchase your device?
on the day it was announced in early 2022. I can try to find exact date.
‎12:51 PM
i think feb 13 2022
‎12:52 PM
Thank you. Please perform a soft reset on your device. A soft reset is just a reboot of your device. None of your information should be lost while doing this step.

Press and hold the power and volume down buttons for about 10 seconds.
‎12:53 PM
yes, i did that just before starting this chat.
Thank you. Could I please know what have you done so far regarding the issue? Because, I don't want you to repeat the steps you've performed all over again.
yesterday i backed up everything then did a factory reset
‎12:54 PM
May I know if you have checked on your device's settings that you have pending software update?
‎12:56 PM
yes; there is no update available it says
‎12:56 PM
I see. Do you have access to Wi-Fi?
‎12:57 PM
yes
"your software is up to date" - security patch level 1 August 2022
Please test your internet connection by going onto www.bbc.co.uk.

Does the page load within 10 seconds?
"Notice - This is Beta Software..."
yes, loadedd
"Welcome to the BBC"
‎12:58 PM
Thank you. Is the battery less than 50% on your device?
‎12:59 PM
it is at 100%
‎1:00 PM
Please clear your device's cache partition.

To clear the cache on your device:

1. From the home screen, swipe either up or down to access apps.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select Battery and device care.
4. Select Memory.
5. Select Clean now.Clear your device's cache partition.

To clear the cache on your device:

1. From the home screen, swipe either up or down to access apps.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select Battery and device care.
4. Select Memory.
5. Select Clean now.
‎1:01 PM
one moment whilst i do that
‎1:02 PM
Sure, Andrew.
‎1:02 PM
done
‎1:03 PM
Please try to check if you can install now, Andrew.
‎1:04 PM
says its up to date
‎1:04 PM
security patch level 1 Aug 2022
version: s908bxxu2zvhk / s908b0xm2zvhk / s908bxxu2zvhk
‎1:05 PM
Do you have enough room on your device to update your software?

Please check your available memory.
1. From the home screen, swipe down to access settings.
2. Tap the settings icon.
3. Tap Battery and device care.
4. Tap Storage.
5. Your available storage will be displayed here.
‎1:05 PM
429GB available
‎1:06 PM
Are you able to access a computer with Internet access?
‎1:07 PM
yes, i am on my desktop chatting with you
‎1:07 PM
Great! Do you have Samsung Smart Switch on your computer?
‎1:09 PM
yes
‎1:09 PM
Try to update your device's software using Samsung Smart Switch.

To do this, kindly connect your cable to your computer or laptop to update the device.
‎1:10 PM
done. it shows backup and restore items
‎1:10 PM
Thank you. May I please know when did you send an error report on Samsung Members app?
‎1:12 PM
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/samsung-24h-care-closed/m-p/6641541#M33809
‎1:14 PM
I had just a reply from someone saying you were here 24h but you weren't; so I posted my query there.
i had read other postings about doing a factory reset
‎1:15 PM
what do you want me to do in smart switch?
‎1:16 PM
its been 6 min since hearing from you?
‎1:18 PM
The Smart Switch will allow you to install the latest software of the device. However, since this has something to do with a Beta and it is saying that you have the latest software on your device, we may need to wait for further updates from our developer in order to discuss further or when you will be able to update your device on the One UI Beta 5.
‎1:19 PM
i left the beta program. it said it was over. and install android 13 and one ui 5, which has been done. Now it is stuck as described above.
‎1:20 PM
Is there a way to force the latest non-beta to be installed?
‎1:21 PM
There is no other way to do this, Andrew. You may send a feedback directly from our Samsung members app, this will allow you to ask a question or send an error report.
‎1:24 PM
Smart switch has a device initialisation for firmware and has options: backup , skip, cancel. i clicked skip. then got message saying this model does not support firmware upgrades and initialization
‎1:25 PM
your reply makes little sense -- i am here talking with you in tech support already - why would the members app be any different?
you have all the info about the error i am reporting.
‎1:26 PM
i trust you to help me, as you said right at the beginning of this chat.
"rest assured I will help you with this"
‎1:27 PM
i don't want to think this has been a wasted hour of my life with you! 😉
‎1:28 PM
I understand that you have reached Samsung Technical Support, Andrew. Please allow me to explain that we do not have any means to check this error on my end, as we have a designated team which are the developer where concerns are being raised directly in regard with software and Beta queries.
‎1:30 PM
That is confusing because I told you about the beta right at the start.
‎1:31 PM
We apologise to know if you are feeling this way, however, for Beta queries that has not been solved, we recommend sending software feedback directly from our Samsung Members app, as this can only be answered and checked directly by our developers.
can you send me a transcript of this so that I can save time?
Yes Andrew. Once the chat session ended, you will have an option to save the transcript.
‎1:33 PM
in the members app it tells me the beta has ended and to download the latest firmware - which is what i did a while ago.
‎1:34 PM
at the bottom of the screen there is: discover, community and support. Is it under support that you want me to go?
in support, there is 'send feedback' section
‎1:35 PM
Once you have installed the latest software on your device, your device will be available for the latest Beta, Andrew.

Yes, that would be the right section, Andrew.
‎1:36 PM
i clicked 'ask questions' and sent query under 'settings/system'
‎1:39 PM
That is right, Andrew. I can assure you that all email enquiries will be answered within 24 - 48 business hours.
‎1:41 PM
was that an email or a posting to the community forum?
‎1:41 PM
Have you provided your email address or just posted on community?
‎1:42 PM
i went through the members app as you said to do.
‎1:43 PM
under support, there is 'check feedback you've sent' and i see my message there.
‎1:44 PM
Thank you for letting me know this. This is a post that can be seen by other members on the community. You will be receiving a comment from our developer in order to discuss your query, Andrew.
‎1:46 PM
Aside from this Andrew, is there anything else that I can assist you today?
‎1:47 PM
in some forum posting i read about downloading firmware and using odin3 ??
‎1:47 PM
I'm afraid that I do not have further information about this firmware, Andrew. Let us just wait for a response from our developer in order to advise you on what you can do about this issue.
‎1:48 PM
ok. I am disappointed that you couldn't resolve my issue this first time i reported it to you. I feel this has been a wasted 90 minutes.
‎1:49 PM
I'm sorry that you feel this way, Andrew. I can assure you that we appreciate all customer feedback and use it to drive future innovations and improvements.
‎1:52 PM
That's all for now. thank you.
‎1:52 PM
I intend to post this over to the community so the info is there (and not have to repeat myself).
‎1:53 PM
If that would be all, it was my pleasure assisting you today, Andrew. My name is Rochelle from Samsung Live Chat Support. If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support. Have a great day!

In a few moments in this chat window there will be a two question survey and the option for you to leave some comments about support I gave you today, your feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.
‎1:54 PM
Has your enquiry been resolved ?

👍 Yes

👎 No
‎1:55 PM
👎 No
Sorry for that, do you want to connect to a Samsung Support Expert again?

Yes

No
No
Despite saying at start that i was in beta program and that causing an issue now it ended, it took 90 minutes here to get to point where tech support said i had to send a separate message to tech support via the samsung members app. Very frustrating!
Thanks! Your feedback helps to improve my service.
If there is any other feedback you’d like to give us about the support provided today, please type it below. Please note that at this stage if you need help with anything else you’ll need to start a new chat session by pressing the back arrow in the top left hand corner of this chat window
‎1:57 PM
I posted in the community forum; i chatted here for 90 minutes; and now i have had to send a question via the members app -- all to get samsung to address this fault of their creation (perpetually stuck in closed beta).
‎1:58 PM
NEW
Your feedback is appreciated. This chat session is now closed, if you require further support please start a new chat session, and we’ll get back to you.
‎1:58 PM
The conversation has been closed

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
Do you have a windows PC? I would personally try using Samsumg Smart Switch on a PC to see if there are any updates available.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@AndrewRH 

Did you leave the Samsung Beta Programme via your Samsung Members App via the withdrawal button by way of Settings > Galaxy Beta Programme > Deregister  ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

Thanks both.

The smart switch app says I am running the latest (!).

It was a while ago that I think I left the beta but maybe that was after it said the official version was out? Honestly cannot remember.

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

AndrewRH_0-1672400733526.png

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

AndrewRH_1-1672401230631.png

AndrewRH_2-1672401251177.png

Note the patch level stuck at 1 Aug 2022.

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

An unhelpful reply from Samsung via the 'Members' app to 'ask question' (which is what the tech support chat person said to do) - The error comes up every time I reboot the phone; so having a reply to say send an error report seems to have missed the point entirely.

Never the less; have sent an error report using Samsung Members right after the beta message appeared.

AndrewRH_0-1672407995806.png

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

Still getting the Beta version dialog come up after a reboot; and everytime I come into the Samsung Members app. That app tells me to download the official software - which I did - and have no other way of installing.

AndrewRH_0-1673376034579.png

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

Answer from Samsung: blame Google.

Apparently Google Play has suspended update rollouts because of stability issues!

AndrewRH_1-1673376251293.png

0 Likes
AndrewRH
Explorer
Options

Meanwhile, apps like Google Wallet and now Netflix don't work. Presumably this is because they see beta software installed. 

AndrewRH_2-1673376421904.png

0 Likes