Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Whatsapp Backup and restore

(Topic created on: 15-10-2022 07:42 PM)
Ankit_ajmani
First Poster
Options

I recently bought a S22 and switched from Oneplus 7t

When I transferred my media through smart switch, all whatsapp media moved successfully and showed in gallery. 

But in whatsapp all media which I had sent went missing although it was showing in gallery.

On further investigating I found smart switch has moved all images from  on Oneplus -> com.whatsapp > WhatsApp> Media>Images>Sent to Samsumg -> com.whatsapp > WhatsApp> Media>Images
And sent folders on my samsung is empty. 

Hence the sent media both photos and videos shows in gallery but doesnt shows in whatsapp messages. 

And restoring using google drive backup changes date stamp of all media to current date. Which is another big mess.

Kindly suggest how to move these data to my new Samsung S22

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Honestly I backup my WhatsApp data in the WhatsApp app and just install it on the new device.
Signing in and then restore from backed up WhatsApp data
Think the way WhatsApp deal with the data, I don't think you will get the media in the WhatsApp app restored any other way
0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's exactly how I do it
0 Likes
Nitesh95
Helping Hand
Options
I didnt even know you could use smartswitch for oneplus to transfer data to a Samsung phone
0 Likes
Nitesh95
Helping Hand
Options
I would ask samsung personally, as I don't even know how to get around what you've described.
0 Likes
BaronDigo
Helping Hand
Options
Any phone actually. Even apple's
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Ankit_ajmani: WhatsApp has it's own backup and restore feature, which you can access via WhatsApp > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup. When you installed the app on your Galaxy S22, you would have been prompted to restore your chat backup at the setup stage, if the data was available. If not, and if a backup had not been completed, then I recommend following the steps above for future reference. 

0 Likes