Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone App crashing after One UI 6 update

(Topic created on: 21-11-2023 02:34 PM)
Max_5
Journeyman
Options

Subject says it all.

I can open the app. But the moment I try to make a call or receive a call, the apps goes on a crash loop. I cannot view the contact if who is calling me, i cannot hang up, and I cannot use the phone as the app keeps popping in front and crashing.

Resetting the phone is not an option as I have multiple MFAs configured and not easy to restore.

Anybody with the same problem or any solution for this issue?

I have already cleared the storage for the app, rebooted the phone multiple times and even tried on safe mode. 

102 REPLIES 102
FlagPole69
Student
Options
First Poster
OPTIONS
Thank You @Laurel in Texas 

Finally FIXED IT!  I did everything fix mentioned, clear partition cache, repairs apps, etc...  downloaded Google phone which worked but could not access my contacts.  Tried to message a friend earlier and my message app crashed mid message!   Out of frustration searched for more fixes which told me to not only clear data and cache from Contacts app but to make visible my System apps and then force stop and clear cache and data from Contacts Storage app.  I rolled my eyes thinking whatever...but did it and rebooted my phone and everything is working again!!!  Go figure.  What a frustrating several hours...  hope this helps someone else!

Thank you.  I did not even have to reboot after wiping the data and cache from the hidden system app.  Things appear to be working again.

0 Likes
Diablo135
Journeyman
Options

Didn't that delete all your contacts? You back them up first?

0 Likes
Andy Brandy
Explorer
Options

Diablo135, we are not talking about deleting contacts. The phone app and contacts are separate things. The Phone App itself has it's own data and cache which is separate from the contacts database. Deleting "app data" does not have anything to do with your saved contacts. It does not even remove call logs. I have been repeating this solution over and again but some arrogant person jumped in and said don't listen to the advice. Well, it worked for me on day one .. I had to deal with this update mess only for a few hours.

0 Likes
FlagPole69
Student
Options

It did not delete my wife's contacts even though I was nervous about it.  We do use Google Contacts but they are also in Samsung contacts like photos, etc.  Glad to report that phone is still working fine. and big thanks to @Laurel in Texas.  The next step was going to be wiping the phone and starting from scratch.

0 Likes
Ahernandez1234
First Poster
Options
  • No need for factory reset for me. Both my contacts and phone app kept crashing. After hours of trying everything to fix the problem, the only thing that worked was the following: go into galaxy store app, menu, updates and then update all your apps that need updating. Once all the app updates were completed, both the contacts app and the phone app worked fine for me. Hope this helps. Good luck!
0 Likes
srinivasaprabhur
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

I had the same issue. It is because 'contacts storage' app was malfunctioning or it is not compatible with UI6.0 software. I was able to fix the issue by following steps,

1. Goto Galaxy Store app

2. Look for 'Contact storage' app and update to latest versio

0 Likes
Nishad1405
First Poster
Options

Hi I am using a Samsung Galaxy M53 and I am facing the same issue as you all are. I have tried clearing cache, restarted the phone multiple times, and I even called Samsung customer care which also did not help. They recommended that I must go to a nearby store but I want to try and fix everything I can do at my level. Please if anyone else is facing the same issue and has found a solution to it, please kindly share. 

Thank you.

0 Likes
TanishBhole
First Poster
Options

I am facing the same problem but the thing is I have done Factory reset on the Android while performing the steps according to the guide but the problem continues I am unable to use my phone in normal I can though use it if I use Ultra saving mode but otherwise I cant use it the App screen will not appear the Phone just Freezes same with the recents screen I can open settings and the nav bar though My device Samsung Galaxy M33 One UI 6 

0 Likes
KellW
First Poster
Options

+1 specifically for One Home UI app crashing and resulting in frozen/non-responsiveness of home screen and a long pause before any selected app will open. Also noticed this and other apps cannot be tweaked with respect to permissions, notifications, etc. This has happened with most of the Samsung apps and so many of these apps are not too far from bloatware. I don't have a locked phone and my phone is very far out of warranty. I break it? I can reset. Very nanny-like of Samsung. Google's forced apps is bad enough but when you lock your apps' configuration management at the OEM level? That's overstepping IMO. Time ro learn how to fully hack and truly "jail break" this phone... Good to hear a fix is forthcoming for this particular app's obvious bugs. Thanks. Outside of locked down configuration abilities and more bloatware than the ISPs we buy the phone though, still a good product on a hardware level.

0 Likes
MICKEY PIE
First Poster
Options

To resolve my issue I uninstalled SECURE FOLDER then Wipe my Partition (dont forget to connect it with your usb cord to your laptop) and that's  it I able to open my app properly with crashing .

Hope this will help

0 Likes