Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you cope with no sd card?

(Topic created on: 26-02-2022 11:00 AM)
Haytch
Helping Hand
Options
I've never had a phone that doesnt support an sd card. That's why I skipped the s21. But I really want to upgrade from my s20 ultra which supports sd card. My question is, when my memory gets full, what am I meant to do. Currently my s20 ultra has 128gb of storage and a additional 512gb sd card.. How am I supposed to transfer all these files If my s22 doesn't have enough memory? 
10 REPLIES 10
Majorj0nny
Pathfinder
Options
I didn't like the idea of losing the SD card, but in reality I'm using a tiny fraction of my 512gb s21 ... Previously I'd just swap my massive sd card from one device to the next, storing more and more pics from years and years of photography, but it's a dangerous method of storage, loose that phone and it's all gone, so I started just having a few years worth on my current device.
I recently purchased the s22 and could have gone for the 1tb version.... But since I've not come close to the 512 I have at the moment, in reality I could easily cope with the 128gb version. But decided play it very safe and get the 512 again.
0 Likes
tf2006
Navigator
Options

I have to spend spells in hospital so I missed the sd slot for Audio Books, films etc. I bought the S22 Ultra 1tb and have plenty of room for my stuff. Just took an age to transfer what I had from my 512gb Note using Samsung Switch! 

RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
If I were you I guess I'd firstly ask myself whether I truly needed all the files currently on my MicroSD and internal memory to be on my phone for immediate access? For instance I've probably got 80ish GB of stuff on my phone I never interact with, and some more as well which I rarely access such as old photos. If I needed extra space I would first back this up using cloud storage (of which there are some really cheap/decent options or 'free' in certain circumstances) however they won't be fast access and will require a wifi or data plan to view but at least they will be accessible wherever you are.

That or buying a USB-C pen drive for backing up your files then deleting the rarely used files from your current storage to free up space. You could also just back everything up to one of these devices for fast storage. If you ever needed to access these files just attach the pen drive to the USB C port and access it that way. You can get small ones that can attach as a keyring so it's more accessible on the go and some are very low profile, like the size of a fingernail and whilst it could be mildly annoying to use the phone whilst attached it would easily be the most convenient option I could think of.

I actually believe Samsung is coming out with some fast access ones similar to the ones I use to use soon, the ones on the website were all USB A drives the last I checked. You can also back up stuff onto SSD drives like the T7 which does transfer super fast if you have the right cable.

If you want to have everything from your phone and SD memory on your new phone, with no external backup options like suggested or cloud storage then your choices are to pay for the larger storage option phone, the 1tb option assuming your memory card and internal is nearing their storage limits.
tf2006
Navigator
Options

I did use a 1tb NVME ssd that I put into a USB C caddy and used as an external device. That worked well as long as you remember to unmount it before removing it. But that's just done from top notification so not hard to access and remove. Just was worried losing it and bigger onboard was less faff! 

0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi, I've been using a micro sd card in my s21 ultra via a micro sd card adapter, it works flawlessly for me.
Here you go.
(As stated above always unmount it before removing it)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reader-Memory-Adapter-Window-Android-Silver/dp/B09G66QLTJ/ref=asc_df_B09G66...
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes well said about the unmounting part and agree that the extra storage onboard is often worth it to make your life a lot easier. Though only if the cost is reasonable.

I'm more likely to damage external memory due to my clumsy hands, which betray me on a regular basis. I've damaged storage devices several times before and several through bad temperament 😑 After dropping my HDD during university and losing everything on the drive (that wasn't backup up), I became ultra paranoid about backing up regularly. I'd backup files to multiple devices, often to the first thing I grabbed, kept buying more storage devices if I spotted a bargain even though I never needed it. Done this for 8 years.

When furloughed I had had enough of the ridiculous amount of backup devices I'd acquired, 15 external storage devices. I had SSD's, HDD's, SD cards, MicroSD's, pen drives, my ancient Sony Memory Stick Duo and of course my collection of 8" floppy disks (joking 😂 Just however found out they existed from the IT guy at work. Vinyl sized floppy disks with 256kb of storage is just hilarious to me)

Anyway, it was a nightmare. Combining everything using my laptop and dongles, having to use programmes to delete duplicates whilst ensuring the original files with the correct metadata were kept. Never again 😫 Now just have 2 SSD's and one 5TB HDD for fast access/backups in addition to everything on cloud storage. I use Amazon Photos and Onedrive though prefer Google Photos, just that Microsoft 365 family was too good a deal.
0 Likes
Welshy1986
Explorer
Options
I have the google one account and store pictures in the cloud. As it is safer for me if I lose my phone the pictures and videos are backed up remotely.
0 Likes
Nush
Pioneer
Options
Thanks for this, I've just changed from S20 ultra with memory card to S22 ultra and this will give me the best of both options
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
You're welcome & I agree, enjoy your new device 😉