(Topic created on: 11-03-2022 01:55 PM)
Ckr
Pioneer
Options
5 REPLIES 5
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Not in my opinion... benchmarks are not always indicative of the real life performance... and ultimately are just a set of numbers to most users ... it is the real user performance that counts.  Additionally a benchmark can be run once and then again 30 minutes later ... and they are found to have completely different results.  

Samsung have released a recent statement about the "GOS" game optimising service.  Their response is that the game optimising service is made available to ensure the best performance optimisations are made during games.  For those that are concerned about GOS, they will add an future ON/OFF switch for this service.  The benchmarking tools are not included in the same GOS optimisation as the games... because... well they are not games but apps !.  

Samsung responds to app-throttling discovery, promises to ship an off switch - 12 AM News

Actually my S21 Ultra has had the similar optimisations and the 'game launcher app' which is supposed to improve the gaming experience.  I have no problem at all with my S21 Ultra phone, and nor benchmarking tools which do not always tell a complete picture of performance.   

Samsung are the real phone engineers and designers here... and we are all mere users.  It does not take much effort to be critical, but could we design and optimise a phone... for most of us probably not. (i am however a technical engineer).   The phone design lifecycle can take a year or more to complete.   It is clear the S22 range have some issues right now, but I would have 100% confidence that Samsung will resolve them... given a few months.  

If Samsung turned off all the optimisations and the phones started getting hotter and hotter... with throttling through heat and other issues, then they will then be accused for that reason of allowing the phones to get too hot.   Sometimes it is about balancing performance against user experience...  

Do we equally criticise our car manufacturers for backing off the BHP power in the car ECU settings, to ensure that our turbo or engine manages to survive 100,000 miles... or should we also be critical of the power reductions trade-off, to ensure the engines longevity ? .  Perhaps we should request 100% power from the engine, at a risk of it going bang after 20,000 miles.    

My whole point with these comments is 'Lets let Samsung do what they do best, and design the phones'.

Take from that information what you will.  I guess people have their own choice of what articles to believe...  videos and articles are in large quantities on the internet and the community is completely swamped with reviews and articles that have both good and bad news stories.   Be careful what you believe on the internet... a lot is just speculation. 

Smiley

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I'm not interested in benchmarks as long as a device does what I need it to do.
John19691969
Hotshot
Options
With all the evidence so far that is out there I would say YES THEY DID CHEAT !!! but we will know for sure after the the investigation in KOREA by the FTC . So until the investigation is finished and the report comes out let's wait and see what the KOREAN FTC Find out and Report . So any speculation on this matter will be either true or not.. As it's being investigated officially in Korea by the Fair Trade Commission...it's not about benchmarks it's about if Samsung made false claims (Lied) about there product to there customers or not ...the truth will come out in time ..

But in my opinion the Korean FTC will find false claims were made by Samsung !

Samsung being ( Sammobile click link ) investigated https://www.sammobile.com/news/ftc-to-look-over-samsung-game-optimization-service-scandal/Screenshot_20220310-182130_Samsung Internet.jpg
Reylob
Samsung Members Star β˜…
Options

They definitely did. It they did not want to cheat they should have disclosed the β€œfeature” and apply it to all apps. Was it accidentally that the GOS was not apply to benchmarks applications? Of course not. They knew very well what they were doing. Benchmarks won’t do much for users, but they are quite influential on purchase decisions and media coverage.

GOS was applied to many apps which were not games like YouTube, Microsoft apps, Google apps, etc. Around 10000 apps.

It is laughable that benchmarking apps get dismissed for not being of real β€œuse”. However, if users send pictures and videos then they are also dismissed because they are subjective and depend on taste, viewing device, and only God knows what.

We are paying customers and we are meant to get what we are paying for. End of the story. It is irrelevant whether we know how to design a phone or not. We use a plethora of services and products that we have no idea how they are designed or produced but we expect to get what they are meant to do or say they are.

My faith in Samsung is running very thin at the moment. They cannot get right their order and delivery system let alone something more complex. Delays of 6 weeks for products which were meant readily available according to their systems and their customer support lying about it or completely incompetent. That is without talking about the exynos variant and numerous problems the device has been released with.

Sniffer
Pathfinder
Options
Yes, it broke the benchmarking tool rules. It's a fact.
0 Likes