Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be a little wary of the company discount Schemes ... especially when trading in your previous handset.

(Topic created on: 21-02-2022 05:29 PM)
smiley
Hotshot
Options

I am not planning on changing my phone  just now, but when I saw an email from my company discount scheme this morning, and offering 10% from the costs of S22 ultra then i couldn't help myself but to check the details and how much discount it might save me.  My company discount scheme links direct to the Samsung website with discounts added.  

Selecting the S22 Ultra in 512GB (Green) would normally cost £1329 and with the 10% discount (£132.90) would mean the phone costs £1196.10.  A pretty decent discount i would say.   Then by offsetting the costs with  trade-in option of my S21 ultra at £380 on this portal, it worked out at £816.10 cost.  

...HOWEVER...

By going direct onto the Samsung store without using company discounts then the cost was £1329 but with a much better trade offer £580 for my S21 ultra... resulting in £749.  

This makes the corporate discount site more expensive by £67.10 !   

Of course I would not trade my 512GB version of the S21U for £380 ...  it currently has a resale value of up to £800...  but it just goes to show that you need to do your maths ! 

... On the other hand...

if I were to use my company discount of £1196.10, and then to sell my phone through retail selling at approx ~ £750, along with re-selling the brand new buds pro for ~£100 (I already have a pair from last year), then effectively it might only cost me £346 !   This is definately FOOD FOR THOUGHT...Lol  🤔 

Smiley :smiling-face: 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Marc_Bannister
Pioneer
Options

My Employee discount does the same thing, I actually save money by going through Samsung normally instead of using the Employee discount.

0 Likes
GusB
Black Belt 
Options
Same. I just went through the regular site - did all the same maths.... several times.

Nearly didn't do the trade in for £580 but can't deal with eBay buyers bullsh*t, tech products always attracts morons on eBay..just hassle sometimes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Apparently because you already get a discount on the eep they offer ***** trade in deals.

If you are doing trade in then direct Samsung is better.
"WI-FI went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family.
They seem like nice people"
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

This has been a tactic of Samsung for at least two years.

When I have suggested that employee discount people remove the 'offer' as it disadvantages staff they are somehow convinced to maintain it (*cough* free phones)... Samsung are not a nice company they are ruthless.

Generally only use the EEP website for accessories months after launch.

0 Likes