Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain after OneUI 5.0 update

(Topic created on: 30-10-2022 11:04 AM)
jackjacka
Explorer
Options
Hi everyone,

Just wanting to see if everyone/anyone else is experiencing massive battery drain after the latest update? Mine was totally fine beforehand, getting about 8 hours of screen on time and now barely gets 5.5. I've already logged an error with Samsung directly but wanted to hear from the community. See attached photos of before (in blue) and after (in green). 

Really frustrating and can't understand why they can't get the battery right, it's been all over the place with each update. Any tips?

I'm running in adaptive refresh, WQHD, majority of apps in deep sleep, no battery limits, no adaptive brightness but never over 25%, mostly on wi-fi, additional ram at 2gb, speed optimise on normal setting, pretty standard setup really. This was the case on both samples.

36 REPLIES 36
jackjacka
Explorer
Options
Also worth stating that I always clear cache after an update, repair apps and run galaxy booster.
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
You don't have to clear the cache you need to look at the hidden battery drainers. Also adaptive lighting tune it off and set it to suit you. Also bluetooth turn it off if not in use same goes fot WiFi. And check what is eating your battery.
jackjacka
Explorer
Options
Thanks Pete, but also followed all of that.. Nothing is particularly obvious as a drain, adaptive lighting is never on, Bluetooth and WiFi being on were never major drains before the UI update. As you'll see from the screenshots the difference is significant, no new apps installed, just unidentified drain.
0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

For me 5.5 to 6 sot is normal, and that's with all the various tweaks, and since I got the phone. That said if I had experienced 8hrs sot I would also try to  figure out how to go back to it! 

0 Likes
jackjacka
Explorer
Options
Yeah absolutely! Very annoyed that it's changed basically overnight with no adjustment I've made to it. 5.5 to 6 would always bug me to be honest for a phone that cost this much
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Nothing is wrong .

In your first one you have used streaming apps which use less battery.

In the second you have used Google maps which drain more battery because of location as you can see google play services pop up as well and stuff.

Streaming apps generally reduce to 48 or 60htz hence giving more battery SOT.

To test just binge on Netflix and you will see the difference.
jackjacka
Explorer
Options
I'd totally disagree, sadly since the update wipes all battery history I can't show you a similar example in terms of apps used but still there is a big difference. Reddit typically hogs battery life, ~10% per hour so it's pretty similar to maps with the location pinging.

I appreciate the reply, honestly, but having owned this phone since the release date I 100% know that something has changed.

As an example I attach a previous days usage on the new UI - subtracting the usage from before the evening charge (3.09 hours) from the total and we've got 5.37 minutes with the remaining amount on the battery lasting a whopping 30 minutes into the next day. So a slight gain compared to using maps but still a marked down step from previous SoT prior to the update. Screenshot_20221030_155206_Device care_1000002251_1667145130.jpg
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

My phone still lasts a couple of days between charges since the Android ¹³ update.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

zimma71
Voyager
Options
Buy another phone ?
0 Likes