Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S21 Ultra USB C Headphones not working

(Topic created on: 30-09-2021 02:04 AM)
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

Got a new S21 Ultra a few days ago, and I am noticing some odd behaviour with my USB C headset.

The headphones seem to work fine with calls.

With media/apps - Often with the headphone plugged in, the audio comes out the phone's main speaker. Disconnecting the usb c and reconnecting it usually forces the audio to switch to the headset.

However, if I pause video/audio for more than a few seconds or switch apps the audio jumps back to the main speaker.

I do get an android notification saying "USB device not recognised" when it stops working.

38 REPLIES 38
krr13
Explorer
Options
My USB-C wired headphones work fine on my S21 Ultra. At first it didn't but when you pull down from the notification bar and select media it worked.
0 Likes
Sarah Hagi
First Poster
Options

I bought so many USB-C adapters in the past 3 days to get this problem solved, one of them was a samsung usbc-headset jack adapter and still didnt work!!!! at the end i finally managed to use all my old earphones by following the instructions on this youtube video, it was super helpful and solved my problem 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbjX7VghVM

metacomet
Student
Options

No mine looks the opposite with headset all the way down

0 Likes
lukaszoff
First Poster
Options
Similar story here, I've my type C headphones from HTC U11, as well as 3.5mm Samsung headphones (from note9) plugged through 3.5mm to type C adapter, and both will not work.
I get the notification stating that the plugged USB device is not supported.

I find this disgusting as I have to be using my Bluetooth headphones all the time.

Samsung this is not da wea!
0 Likes
JJulia21
First Poster
Options

Guys I'm having the same issue! Samsung 21 all updated, Half of my headsets 'aren't supported by this phone' even though an old set of head phones were. I have even used Samsung's own products. Is this just a ploy to get you to buy bluetooth earphones? Anyone have any fixes?

0 Likes
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options
Afraid not Julia, I just caved and got Bluetooth headphones, zero regrets though, I prefer them to wired now.
0 Likes
Jeroen1985
Apprentice
Options

Mine only stopped working since last phone update on the s21 

They always worked fine without problem but since the last update 

When I plug-in my earpieces it's thinking it's a charger 

And using Bluetooth galaxy buds + doesn't work well for me either since they keep disconnecting every second 

0 Likes
Solution
jaychew90
Apprentice
Options

Here's the problem. S21 phones does not have a built in DAC for wired earphones. 
You will need a Type C to 3.5mm dongle with DAC chip.

I believe those who are seeing "Device not supported" use normal dongle which doesn't has any DAC chip.

Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options
I was using USB C headphones, they didnt have a 3.5mm connection.
0 Likes
jaychew90
Apprentice
Options

Not all USB C headphones have DAC built in. Some USB C headphones still rely on the phone's built in DAC.