Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applications do not record sound from microphone - mic works only for calls

(Topic created on: 18-05-2023 04:52 PM)
CommunityName51
Apprentice
Options

Applications on my S21 do not pick up sound from microphone. When I try to record audio in sound recorder, or voice message in messenger, or search with google assistant - applications behave like everything works, but there is no sound transmitted to the application. Voice message is recorded silent, voice recording in recording app is silent, and voice search behaves like I am not saying anything. I see green dot indicating that microphone is being accessed, in microphone access logs I see all apps accessing microphone. Microphone does not work with bluetooth headset.

Everything works in calls, and in camera for video. Even more, when I call through messengers - everything works fine as well. 

Of course, all permissions are granted for apps. I also tried Wipe Cache via recovery boot. 

I did not try factory reset (and I do not want to). 

11 REPLIES 11
Starjay
Student
Options

I am having same issue

Cafehockey
Apprentice
Options

Did you find a solution? My phone just started doing this 

CommunityName51
Apprentice
Options

Yes - I threw my phone away and bought Iphone. Never will buy any Android again in my life.  

0 Likes
Rick13h
Apprentice
Options

Same exact issue here.... not sure if it is related to latest Android update... I am also having issues with fingerprint reader

0 Likes
Cafehockey
Apprentice
Options

I replaced my SIM card reader, microphone, and charging port board. Fixed my issues. A relatively inexpensive part too

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Rick13h: To troubleshoot the issue, please try pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 10 seconds until your phone restarts. This will simply refresh the device, and will not affect your personal data or settings. 

Following the restart, please head to Settings > Apps > Voice Recorder (as an example) > Permissions, and make sure that 'Microphone' is allowed. If you then open the Voice Recorder app, tap the red circle at the bottom of the screen, and record a short voice sample, are you able to hear yourself in the resulting file? 

If not, please open the Samsung Members app > Support > Diagnostics > Mic, and follow the on screen prompts. Can you hear yourself during the playback? 

0 Likes
Members_wVacdWl
First Poster
Options

That did not help. Voice recorder records silence. 

Rachie3
Student
Options

*****! Me too! All I get is... Have you given the apps permission! Yes! I have! Works fine on calls and vid

0 Likes
Rachie3
Student
Options

I think I might have a solution. Did you run the mic diagnostic? My bottom mic isn't working. This is the mic that WhatsApp use and also voice recorder but calls and vid use BOTH mics. We just need a new bottom mic!