Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with some apps on wifi on Galaxy S9/S20

(Topic created on: 06-05-2021 08:29 PM)
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

(edit: sorry, should have posted to S20 forum)

Hi all

I have had this problem for months and cannot find a resolution.  Some apps will not load data from the internet over wifi, but are fine as soon as I stop wifi.  All the time things like Chrome are working with no problems.  Examples:

Weather - will not refresh

BBC Sounds - will not show content or My Sounds

Flight Radar 24 - shows maps, but does not show aircraft

In each case I just get the spinning wheel.  These things all burst in to full life as soon as I drop the wifi.  Also seem to work for an hour or so after a big network disruption (reboot router, drop and reconnect to wifi).  I have the same issues on my current S20 and also on my old S9 - even after doing a factory reset and only installing the problem apps.

BT (my ISP) are sending a replacement Smart Hub 2, but I'm not convinced it is the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm using the BT Home Hub 6 and Wi-Fi presents no similar issues @SimonG20 

Perhaps try splitting your frequency to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and choose one and then the other.

And or forget the network on your phone and then reset it back up.

Try clearing the cache of the apps not working on Wi-Fi. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
LaskZarkot
First Poster
Options

Did hoy found a Solution?

I have the same problem since last 2 weeks

Instagram, Twitter, Uber, weather and others won't load but other apps like fb, yt they do, and only in my house wifi, but It seems like It's not my internet because in my other devices wifi works fine

0 Likes
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

Hi

I did eventually resolve my problem.  I had changed my ISP and - while I thought I'd cleared down the configuration - I still had the old router on the network.  It was not offering DHCP, but it did appear to be accepting messages for some internet services as if it was the default gateway.  Perhaps the Samsung device was caching the mac address and routing some traffic to it... Anyway, I disconnected the old router and all problems stopped.

Hope this helps..

Simon

0 Likes