Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with some apps on wifi on Galaxy S9/S20

(Topic created on: 06-05-2021 08:10 PM)
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

Hi all

I have had this problem for months and cannot find a resolution.  Some apps will not load data from the internet over wifi, but are fine as soon as I stop wifi.  All the time things like Chrome are working with no problems.  Examples:

Weather - will not refresh

BBC Sounds - will not show content or My Sounds

Flight Radar 24 - shows maps, but does not show aircraft

In each case I just get the spinning wheel.  These things all burst in to full life as soon as I drop the wifi.  Also seem to work for an hour or so after a big network disruption (reboot router, drop and reconnect to wifi).  I have the same issues on my current S20 and also on my old S9 - even after doing a factory reset and only installing the problem apps.

BT (my ISP) are sending a replacement Smart Hub 2, but I'm not convinced it is the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
BBC suggest
Uninstall the app Turn off the WiFi on your deviceRestart the deviceTurn on the WiFi on the device againInstall the BBC Sounds app again

In respect of Flight Radar, I would recommend reaching out to them for support.
0 Likes
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

Hi Pugs

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately this hasn't fixed it.  I don't think it is an individual app issue as the same behaviour affects several independent apps.

Also that I get the same issues on a freshly factory reset S9.

It feels to me like an ARP or DNS problem; on wifi some packets are sent the 'wrong way'.  Resetting the network can clear a bad cached setting, but it goes wrong again over time.

I'd like to be able to monitor my network to see if I can see badly directed packets heading out unanswered, or being blocked by the router, but network security and encryption makes that very difficult.

So is it:

- several individual apps having the same problem? 

- virus or badly behaved app on the phone (doesn't explain the problem occuring after factory reset)

- Android issue

- Router issue

Its certainly got me stumped.  And annoyed!

Simon

0 Likes
ValenDren
Explorer
Options
Hi,
Out of curiosity, check if "mobile data only apps" is switched on under data usage in settings. Only thing I can think of...
0 Likes
Windswept
Explorer
Options
Have you installed a VPN, virtual private network, or a security app that maybe has a VPN as part of it ?
This would block your WiFi access for some apps.
For instance, Norton 360 Premium has a VPN as part of the package, yet if i use it, WhatsApp will only use data and won't use wifi.
0 Likes
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

Hi.  No unfortunately that is not the problem.

As I mentioned, this happens on a factory reset device as well as my S20

Simon

0 Likes
SimonG20
First Poster
Options

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, but no VPN in play, unfortunately

Simon

0 Likes