Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S20 FE 5G - Playing games prevents apps from pushing notifications, have to restart device

(Topic created on: 12-06-2022 04:44 AM)
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Having played a game earlier, I notice after a couple of hours afterwards that I'm not getting notifications from many apps.

When my phone is restarted, either manually or automatically, the notifications all come flooding through. This is incredibly frustrating and worrying, considering that the apps include many popular ones like YouTube, Twitter and some messaging apps which I use to stay in contact with my family for urgent reasons.

I'm 99% sure this has something to do with the game optimization service, game booster and/or game launcher as its only after I play a game that this happens, even though I've troubleshooted by disabling the game optimization service via the game booster settings.

Does anyone know how this problem can be averted or fixed?

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Same happens to me on my S9+ (One UI 2.5), but don't think it has anything to do with games (don't play and game optimization is disabled, because all it seems to do is to intentionally slow down other apps). No idea what causes it.

daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Thanks for letting me know. It happens me 99% of the time after playing a game for sure. But I did notice as a once off the issue happening even though I hadn't touched a game. I presumed it was just a once-off, but based on your experience it doesn't appear to be the case at all.

I just got an update this morning so we'll see what happens from here.

0 Likes
Annette124
First Poster
Options
Get rid of the game booster now my kid is trying to play a game
0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Are you saying that getting rid of the game booster is the solution, and if so, how do you do it exactly?

Or are you venting? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

To keep this thread updated, I've learned that this may not necessarily be a fault of the game, game launcher, game booster or game optimization service. Rather it appears to be just the battery management by the device (for sure it's possibly due to the managing of the game services which put the battery management under pressure).

So I've since done some troubleshooting - on the apps which weren't pushing notifications until a device restart, I've changed the battery settings on each of the apps from Optimised to Unrestricted.

I'm hoping that this resolves the matter; if not, my next step will be to add each of the apps to the "Never sleeping list" inside Device Care > Battery > Background Usage limits. I'm really not sure what the difference is between this and changing the apps' battery settings to Unrestricted.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@daherlihy: Please can you try opening Game Launcher > Tap the 3 lines in the bottom right > Game Booster > Block during game > Notifications, and toggle this option off to see if this helps? 

0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Already troubleshooting with this but I can assure you that Notifications are not blocked in the Game Booster settings. Indeed I do get notifications during game time from various apps.

0 Likes
daherlihy
Explorer
Options

Just to stress that this has nothing to do with notifications in-game.

And the issue doesn't appear to be exclusively related to gaming afterall - yesterday I opened a game in the morning afterwards - no issue for a number of hours as I was still receiving notifications. But then in the afternoon I step outside to collect the kids, leaving the wifi and entering mobile data. It was a few hours after this when I returned back to my home wifi that I realised that I hadn't received any notifications! So I restarted the phone and boom ... they all flooded through.

So it might now be something to do with the network management on the device, as well as any battery management.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@daherlihy: It might be worth checking Settings > Advanced features > Bixby routines, to see if you have any routines set up that might enable Do Not Disturb, or disable notifications under specific conditions. If the apps are web based, try heading to Settings > Apps > Select an affected app > Mobile Data > Allow background data usage > On > Allow data usage while data saver is on > On. 

0 Likes