Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 FE 5G not updating to Android 13.

(Topic created on: 10-01-2023 05:01 PM)
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781U) bought in December 2022 from a retail shop in the United Kingdom. The current Android version is 12, the One UI is 4.1, and the Android security patch level shows May 2022.

I know Android 13 has been available for the S20 FE for a while, and I have tried using "Software update" in the Settings to attempt to get the phone to update, but the message still comes back "Your software is up to date". 

I have another S20 FE, but the 4G version, which updated to Android 13 many months ago.

What am I missing? Why will it not update to Android 13 please? Is it something to with the particular model number, SM-G781U? From Googling, I think this is the US version, but the shop never mentioned anything about this. The box was sealed and had a UK mains adaptor in it, so I never suspected an issue.

Please help!

Thank you very much! 

17 REPLIES 17
Fragile
First Poster
Options

I installed Smart switch on my computer, in my case it was Windows 11. Plugged my phone into my PC using the cable, the phone asks for permission to connect to the PC. Then opened smart switch on my PC. It then asks permission to download smart switch onto the phone, granted permission. After smart switch on the PC detected the phone, smart switch on the PC indicated a new software update was available, just had to click update. Click on a bunch of confirmations, and the update started.

0 Likes
Fragile
First Poster
Options

Sorry, that ended up getting posted twice

0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Fragile, thank you very much for taking the time to get back to me about this issue.

I have tried what you have suggested, numerous times. Connected and disconnected the phone numerous times, powered it on and off, the laptop on and off, all combinations. The ***** phone just will not update! Very frustrating.

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, please please let me know.

Thank you again Fragile, good of you. 

0 Likes
Fragile
First Poster
Options

Journeyman, The only thing I can think of is your location. I did the update in the US.. 

0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Ah, you did the update in the US. That might be the reason I am not having the same success as you. I will try a VPN, see if that makes any difference. Thanks again for your reply, appreciate the help. I will let everyone know if the VPN method works! 

0 Likes
Gaming gan
First Poster
Options

Hy bro am having the same problem on My s20 fe 5g it has the same exact model number as YOURS SM-G781U mine is on Android 11 I can't update it did you manage to update yours

0 Likes
Fragile
First Poster
Options

I connected my phone with a USB cable to a Windows PC running smart switch and got it to update. It might be related to your location, I did it while in the USA.

0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

I have still not found a solution to this issue. Samsung very unhelpful, have not responded to any posts.

I have tried Smart Switch with a Windows PC. Even with the PC using a United States VPN.

I have further tried using a US VPN on the phone itself. With SIM inside, and without SIM, VPN and no VPN. 

Nothing makes any difference. Still stuck on a very old software version.

Appalling customer service from Samsung! 

0 Likes