Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ Not getting notifications

(Topic created on: 17-03-2020 09:19 PM)
Taylor0304
First Poster
Options

Since getting my S20+ everything has been great, yet I've noticed within the last day or two that I'm not getting notifications anymore. I won't see WhatsApp or Instagram messages unless I open the apps. I'm not getting app icon badges either. My phone is on loud and I have notifications turned on for both of these applications. I've tried restarting the phone and deleting and reinstalling WhatsApp and the issue still continues.

Go to solution
44 REPLIES 44
Mugwumps1
First Poster
Options

Man this is driving me nuts.

This is my work device, missing emails, alerts etc etc.

Might have broken in last update?

Really bad form.

0 Likes
MaureenS
First Poster
Options

I think was with the lastest update too...I was getting notifications on my S8 imap gmail account fine until then and nothing on my S20 Ultra so far....very frustrating indeed.  Samsung we need a fix asap.

Solution
Lmoraxs
First Poster
Options

so i was having the same.issues with my newly purchased S20. I wasnt getting certain notifications like Instagram and google voice but then i finally figured it out. I had an app on my phone called security master and another one for locking my apps. I discovered these apps were interfering or blocking the notifications so if u have similar apps you have installed to password protect your apps, either uninstall them or change the settings that are blocking your notifications . I hope it works for u guyz. I was literally on my way to go return the phone when i tried this and it worked

JC100
Student
Options

I have the S20 and it is a fault with the phone. There are audible notifications, but I need to be able to see a missed call or incoming text on a locked screen, which doesn't seem possible.  This is very retograde from Samsung. The S7 has a beautiful system of pin-head lights  -  red for low battery, green for mised call, blue for incoming message.

When the S20 is locked, there's no visible notification! Not Good, Samsung need to come up with a fix ASAP.

GavinWA
Student
Options

Ditto. Seems to be a very long-standing bug across the Samsung range. There are threads here going back to the S8 last year all with the similar theme: Notifications simply stop working or are heavily delayed (minutes, hours, days). I have factory reset my phone 3 times, carefully reinstalled every app, tried each and every "fix" listed here and its still broken.

It's especially frustrating that this bug has affected S8, S9, S10 and S20 users for over a year now and Samsung don't even acknowledge it as a fault! I'm seriously thinking about invoking my consumer rights and returning the phone as faulty.

I've been testing with the app "Push Notification Tester" which on my S20 just spins and receives nothing. On my Lenovo tablet, my old Sony phone, basically every other device I can get my hands on, the notification is received within a second or two.

SDHastewell
Student
Options

I'm having the same issue with not getting Whatsapp notifications unless I open the app to check. I was having the same issue with my Huawei Mate 20 Pro before upgrading, however on that device, if I connected to a VPN messages came through fine. The same solution did not work on the S20 Ultra. I've reset the phone, unistalled apps and reinstalled them, checked the app wasn't being killed in the background, it all seems to be when I'm on mobile data and not WiFi.

0 Likes
SDHastewell
Student
Options

Try this link on Youtube, so far so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxZUu1Mzmo

First thing I noticed is that when I switch off "Put apps to sleep" I had a Gmail, Outlook, Samsung (for the 2 factor auth to log in to this site, which I ended up having to try SMS instead) and a Smartthings notification. Culprit? maybe.

0 Likes
tcajuk
Journeyman
Options

Same here i am getting WhatsApp and dual Facebook messenger fine but Facebook and a second copy for dual accounts nothing which is costing me money as someone who sells on facebook, also not getting any of my front door cctv notifications nor for my other cctv.

My S9 was fine was getting them all, had to upgrade to the s20 ultra and for whats meant to be their flag ship phone it will be my last Samsung phone / product ever i think, I've been a Samsung user for 30 years this is the nail in the coffin as I say its costing me money not getting notifications if im away from my computer!

I've only had the phone for 7 days quite possibly thinking about returning it! 

tcajuk
Journeyman
Options

followed the video few of mine were in the optimised battery area so unchecked them but alas still no notifications, getting really frustrated with this so called flagship phone, going to downgraded back to my S9 soon I think.

JC100
Student
Options

I have audible notifications on my S20, but this is not helpful when the sound is off, or when I can't immediately pick up the phone - then the repeated audio notification is just annoying.  I didn't realise that the excellent pin-head light notifications on the S7 are actual LED's built into the phone.  Ideally some genius Samsung or Android developer could create something that emulates those tiny LED's - different colours for different messages e.g. red for low battery, blue for missed call, green for text.  Something you can see at a glance even if the screen is off, and that doesn't drain power.

0 Likes