Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages keeps opening by itself

(Topic created on: 07-10-2021 01:33 PM)
Colours
Student
Options
Every 5 minutes or so the messages app keeps opening and will take me out of full screen. But when I press the tab button and touch the messages app it dismisses the open apps menu. Using galaxy s10+ btw.

Messages opened it self

32 REPLIES 32
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Colours ,

how strange! Can I ask how long have you been experiencing this? Is the same thing happening if you run the phone in Safe Mode? Using Safe Mode on a Samsung phone or tablet allows you to force the device to run the essential operating system, and disable most 3rd party applications. It's designed as a diagnostic tool to help solve issues with connectivity, battery life, apps, and more.

To do this Press and hold the Power button until you see Power Off, Restart, and Emergency. Press and hold the Power Off icon until it shows a Shield, tap the Shield and the device will restart in Safe Mode. Once done, monitor the phone to see if the same thing happens. 

0 Likes
S10 user
First Poster
Options

Yes, I have the same bug since the update. I'm also using the s10. Before it happened there was a strange privacy / chat  menu popping up every few minutes, which i couldn't refuse.

I'm worried about my data and privacy.. Samsung knows about this bug, but is keeping their mouth shut. They should already have an update available.. together with XDAdevelopers we'll get to the bottom of this

Colours
Student
Options
So I think I found a fix, it hasn't happened since so it might work for you. Settings>apps>messages>appear on top=off and restart. Hope this helps x
Davetoronto
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much for this fix!!!  It absolutely works and I no longer get that interruption.  Appreciate you

Leaves
Journeyman
Options

I'm having the exact same issue! I first noticed when I was navigating that my nap kept shrinking to the minimized view so thought it was a google maps problem, then realised the screen kept flickering almost like it was taking a screenshot but faster. I disabled all the gesture/sidebar settings and removed my case and screen protector in case it was ghost touches. Then I just realised that messages was open in my app drawer all the time even though I hadn't used it. I've just tried disabling the "always on top" feature as suggested above so fingers crossed that fixes it! I was about to factory reset and book it in at the Samsung service centre 🥴

zara01
Journeyman
Options
Same problem here with an s10 5g. Messages app keep reopening since an update.
0 Likes
saurabh915
First Poster
Options

Have the same problem on my S20 5G. The screen flashes every 6 minutes as if a screenshot is being taken. If this happens while using the full screen apps (like navigation or whats app call), the app minimises. The message app (with an blank screen) can be seen in the app drawer. I noticed that this does not happen when mobile data/internet is off or when in safe mode. I updated the latest software update (as available on 17th Oct 2021) and the issue still persists. Changing the settings in the message app, to set appear on top = off, may prevent the screen flashing and opening message app, but this may only  be one visible step of the "attack". Since this happens only when internet is available, I'm worried it may be related to some kind of malware and more activities may be happening in the background! Samsung needs to resolve this ASAP. Screenshot_20211018-093905_One UI Home.jpg

hbhoff
First Poster
Options

Thank you!!!! This has been driving me CRAZY! Trying to use Google Maps while driving is a nightmare because the messaging app popping up forces the Maps screen to minimize. Had to use Google Assistant to maximize like every 2 minutes, that got old REAL fast. "hey google, open google maps"... "hey google, open google maps"... "hey google" forever and ever.... lol

0 Likes
Ranakkl
First Poster
Options

Hello

I have the same bug haopenning since the last update. It is really annoying and sometimes scary as it makes the whole screen white for a split second. I wish I hadn't done the update at this point really... Please fix it asap.

0 Likes