Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QR-code are not recognized by certain apps

(Topic created on: 15-05-2022 03:06 PM)
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Hello all, I have a problem with scanning QR codes by several apps (ING Banking and DigiD). Once I need to scan a QR code from a laptop screen, the camera is opened by the app, I see the QR code on the screen, but nothing happens. If I scan the same QR code using the QR code scanner (which is build in Android), I get the link which is in the code and can press on this link, but after doing so I get the message: no app is present to use this code. 

It looks like there is no connection/relation of these apps to the QR code. I am using a Note9 (SM-N960F) with Android 10. The apps have access to the camera, so there is no restriction here. This all used the work on my phone without problems (also using the same laptop to scan from). Any ideas anybody?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Some additional information: QR code scanning of the camera is enabled.

All the software and apps are up to date. I re-installed the ING and DigiD app, but without any success. The problem remains.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Antoine249: Although you may have attempted some of the following steps, please open the Camera app, tap the cog symbol and make sure that 'Scan QR Codes' is toggled on. Now, swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom using 2 fingers, select 'Scan QR Code' from the Quick Panel, scan the QR code, tap on the pop up and the link will open. 

If you're still experiencing issues, try taking a photo of the QR code then head to your Gallery app, select the image of the code, tap the Bixby Vision icon (it looks like an eye), then select 'Lens' to allow Bixby to read the code and redirect you to the URL. You can also access Bixby Vision via the Camera app > Scroll to 'More' > Bixby Vision. Simply enable all pop up permissions, then select the QR code symbol at the bottom of the screen. Let me know if this helps. 

0 Likes
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew, thanks for your response! I did make sure that "scan QR codes" option is enabled. If I scan the same QRcode (that fails in the ING and DigiD Apps) with the Quick Panel, I get a link. As soon as I try to open this link I get a message that no app is installed that is associated with this link. Nevertheless the apps mentioned are installed. Somehow the association of the link in the QR codes for these apps is missing/broken. I do not know how to restore this.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Antoine249: Can you try heading to Settings > Apps > Choose default apps > Opening links > Open links in apps, and toggle this option on. If it's already on, try toggling it off to see if this makes a difference. 

0 Likes
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your quick response, I appreciate that. 

I followed your instructions and found the setting. The "open links in apps" was already swicthed on, so I toggled it. The apps I mentioned are also listed on this page.

Unfortunately, the problem remains. In the apps, I see the QR code but nothing happens. Scan QR Code from the Quick Panel shows the link. But again if I tap it,  I get the message that there is no app associated with the link...

0 Likes
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew, i am open for any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Antoine249: I'm not sure what could be causing this issue, I'm afraid. If you have been to Settings > Apps > Choose default apps > Open links in apps, and toggled this off, then it should direct you to a webpage instead. Have you tried scanning a random QR code while you're out and about to see if the issue is persistent? 

0 Likes
Antoine249
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew, yes meanwhile if have scanned several QR-codes using the scanner from the quick link panel. I found some examples QR-Codes zum Ausprobieren - Bilder, Screenshots - COMPUTER BILD which all are working. These links take me to a website, or adding a contact to my address book or fill an email address. Works without a problem.

I just tried one of the apps again (DigiD) which still does not work. The associated link for this app is "app.digid.nl". The link of the QR code starts with: "digid-app-auth://app_session_Id= .....". I am not sure if this matches the associated link.

0 Likes
Jameswalter
Journeyman
Options

Your Android device isn't running Android 9 or higher. If your device can't run Android 9 or higher, you can download a third-party app to scan QR codes. You can also check and update your Android version

Regards,
James

0 Likes