Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy note 10+ 5g : weird wireless charging and play store issues

(Topic created on: 17-03-2021 05:48 PM)
Russbmw
Apprentice
Options

Hi a long one, but figured more information is better than too little. 

So, my Galaxy note 10+ 5g (running android 11) seems to have developed, for no apparent reason as its never been dropped or anything, a couple of issues about 10 days ago.

1) refuses to download or update most apps when connected to WiFi (nothing at all wrong with the WiFi by the way, everything else, including this phone have worked fine for years/months).  The only way I can get it to work is to turn off WiFi and allow the play store to download over my mobile network. This is less than ideal as you can imagine. Sometimes it will carry on fine if I turn wifi back on again, other times it won't. 

2) wireless charging seemed to have just given up. I put it on the pad when I went to bed about midnight, and nothing had happened by 6am.  It then sporadically worked the following day but come bed time again the following day it refused to work. The charging pad is a Ravpower one with a 2a Samsung mains adaptor, I've had it for years with no issues at all on previous phones, nor my current other work phone (note 9) nor my wife's iPhone xs max. 

Issue one neither Google nor Samsung have a clue about. I've tried removing my Google account, deleted all cache and data for everything several times, removed all play store updates to factory. Nothing makes an difference. 

Also factory reset the phone as a last ditch effort to resolve both problems. Didn't help, in fact made it worse as I then had the tedious wifi toggling exercise to get all my apps back on the phone after the engineer visit below..... 

Issue 2 I had the Samsung appointed engineer arrive yesterday, and he replaced the wireless charging antenna and charging port (even though there was nothing wrong with the port). He also re-flashed it and put android 10 back on. Suggested I avoid android 11 for the moment, as he'd heard of similar play store issues on 11.  I tried it on the wireless charger whilst he was here and it worked fine.

Spent the rest of the day getting my phone back to normal... The play store issue still remained, even on android 10.  Popped it on the charger a few times, just to check it was still working whilst restoring everything. All seemed fine. 

Night time, put the phone on the charger..... And nope, not working again.

This morning I thought I'd try the wireless power share, the thought being it would indicate if the antenna was working.  Grabbed my Galaxy watch and sure enough it worked, and the watch began charging.  Took the watch off, checked to make sure powersharing was turned off (and it was... Assume it does it once the device is removed), and when the phone was put back on the charging pad it worked fine. Took it on and off a few times and nope, no dramas at all. 

A few hours later, tried it on the pad again and now its not working again. 

Tried charging my note 9 from the note 10 this time. Worked. Checked powersharing was off again, put the note 10+ on the charger and sure enough it's working again. 

Same happened about 30 minutes ago, exact same "kick start" process as before, and phone charges on the pad. 

I've already got another engineer visit booked for Friday, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this, as it seems bloody weird and I'm assuming the motherboard has borked? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Russbmw
Apprentice
Options

Well, repair today replaced the motherboard, as he also suspected that would help with the play store issue (also I think because frankly it was pretty obviously the only thing left to do!), and sure enough has fixed both problems.

Wonder what caused it to freak out?

Seeing as I've got a galaxy watch, I bought a Samsung duo charger, so just incase the charger somehow caused the problem, unlikely as it is, as I've had the same charger for at least 2 other galaxy phones and its been fine. 

View solution in context

6 REPLIES 6
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@Russbmw 

hope the second visit will fix the issues 

if not, have your device sent to repair centre for further diagnosis instead

😉

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
Solution
Russbmw
Apprentice
Options

Well, repair today replaced the motherboard, as he also suspected that would help with the play store issue (also I think because frankly it was pretty obviously the only thing left to do!), and sure enough has fixed both problems.

Wonder what caused it to freak out?

Seeing as I've got a galaxy watch, I bought a Samsung duo charger, so just incase the charger somehow caused the problem, unlikely as it is, as I've had the same charger for at least 2 other galaxy phones and its been fine. 

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Did try changing DNS settings on your router or device?
0 Likes
Russbmw
Apprentice
Options

No, because the motherboard was goosed, not the router. 

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Sorry to hear, hope it all gets sorted for you.
0 Likes
Russbmw
Apprentice
Options

Yeas, as I said above, it was replaced last week and is fine now.