Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request: Copy Number to be added to Recents screen in Phone app

(Topic created on: 27-08-2023 03:51 PM)
Chookz
Navigator
Options
Dear Samsung Mobile, please add a basic "copy number" function into the Recents list of the Phone app.

Please add this in a future One UI update

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
AndrewL
Options

@Chookz: This feature is currently available by heading to the Phone app > Recents > Tap on a number > Tap the 'i' symbol that appears below > Share > Copy (visible above the prepopulated share options).

I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
Chookz
Navigator
Options
It does not exist in Recents.

Sorry Andrew this does not help as that's too many steps.

When I tap+hold on any number in the "Recents" view, the only option I'm presented with is 'Delete' at the bottom centre of the screen.

All I'm suggesting is that next to the 'Delete' there should be a 'copy number' or even just a 'share'

A 'copy number' would be much more simplistic and quicker.

I am running One UI 5 (Android 13) on Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi there, @Chookz. We can certainly suggest an alternative shortcut. Just to reiterate what @AndrewL has already mentioned, however, while on the Phone app, you can tap a number on the Recents list (holding the number will indeed only let you delete this, or a selection of other phone numbers on the list).

Tapping the number/contact will then bring up a phone icon (to call), text message icon (to send a message to the number), or the "i" icon. 

Clicking on the i icon will open up more information related to that number/contact, including a correspondence history. Just hover on the number at the top of the menu to copy it. 

Along the bottom of this menu, you can Favourite the number, Edit it, or Share it. Clicking the three-dot menu will also let you Block contact or Delete calls from history (bonus info admittedly!).

I hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on.

0 Likes
Chookz
Navigator
Options
Thanks Paul, your explanation does help and thanks for taking the time.

Ultimately what I'm still getting at is a FASTER way to simply "copy a number" from the Recents list via tap & hold a number and having an option presented next to the Delete.

I now think that there should be Two options - "Share" and "Delete"

So Tap & Hold a number in the Recents list should show the options for "Share" icon and "Delete" icon

The Share function is what allows copying a number to clipboard.
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

You're welcome, @Chookz

Thanks very much for your feedback, and for taking the time to make this suggestion. As the Delete option allows you to delete more than one number at a time, I'm not sure whether the Copy and Share options being on the same menu would be feasible.

Nevertheless, I've noted your suggestion and passed it on to our Research & Development Team to see if these options can be incorporated into a future update.

I'll update the thread when I get feedback from the team. 👍

Chookz
Navigator
Options
Paul, you are correct about the single Delete icon being the necessary UX behaviour as multiple items can be deleted.

1.) However, I still feel that the Share icon could appear along with the Delete in that same centre-bottom. The Share icon should appear only for ONE selection made in that Recents list and then the Share icon would disappear if multiple selections were made.

2.) But Paul, you know what would be another cool, slightly different alternative? Would be for the same SHARE icon to always appear with the Delete icon, regardless if multiple selection or not. The explanation for this being such a new feature ability to stack multiple numbers/contacts into a spaced out vertical text list and share them. This would work too.

----------

There is a third-party phone Dialer app from Play store that I rarely use which has the simple ability to 'copy number to clipboard' directly from the Recent calls list
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.dialer

So yes, please to the R&D team at Samsung Mobile to implement this in a future One UI update. Thanks 😊
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi there, @Chookz . 

I've had a response now. 

PaulM1_0-1695313803433.png

"for now , our developers will keep an eye on similar requests, but it's difficult to say if it will be implemented."

I hope that this reassures you that your suggestions are certainly being considered and, if there are more requests for this, it will help.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know.

0 Likes
Chookz
Navigator
Options
Hello Paul, thanks for the response.

I have been playing with the Recent screen in my OneUI 6 and I think I know how a "copy number" could be implemented with a gesture.

You know how we have the swipe right to Call and swipe left to SMS message.

I think during the middle way of swiping right, there should be presented a Swipe upwards to "copy number" with an animated directional arrow pointing upwards.

So a Swipe right, then Up to "copy number" or other action.

What do you think? Please forward this gesture idea onto the relevant people.
0 Likes