Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery life when using GPS

(Topic created on: 16-12-2019 09:42 AM)
4039 Views
ggabu500
Journeyman
Options

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G. The phone is great in all aspects, execpt for when using GPS with the Google Maps app.

 

Basically, the phone battery lasts for about 2 hours when using GPS with the Google Maps app for either driving and/or walking navigation. This is not much use for a journey over 2 hours; especially if walking, when there is no opportunity to keep the phone plugged into a charger!

 

I have already dialled down all the unnecessary options to try and reserve the battery, but still, when using GPS it lasts not much more than 2 hours without a charge.

 

Back in the good old days of replaceable batteries, I could at least carry a spare, but unfortunately modern times do not allow for this.

 

Is GPS a known problem for battery drain, and does anyone have any further advice?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@ggabu500 wrote:

 

Back in the good old days of replaceable batteries, I could at least carry a spare, but unfortunately modern times do not allow for this.

 

Is GPS a known problem for battery drain, and does anyone have any further advice?


Well, as a workaround you could use a power bank. And yes, GPS is known to use a lot of power. But I'd say two hours to drain the battery isn't normal.

 

You could invoke the Samsung Members App, do the interactive check on the battery and contact the support  should the check tell you that the device doesn't work as expected.

 

And/Or you could wipe the cache partition and see if that changes anything.

 

Finally you could do a factory reset.

 

 

0 Likes
ggabu500
Journeyman
Options

@IreibeX wrote:

@ggabu500 wrote:

 

Back in the good old days of replaceable batteries, I could at least carry a spare, but unfortunately modern times do not allow for this.

 

Is GPS a known problem for battery drain, and does anyone have any further advice?


Well, as a workaround you could use a power bank. And yes, GPS is known to use a lot of power. But I'd say two hours to drain the battery isn't normal.

 

You could invoke the Samsung Members App, do the interactive check on the battery and contact the support  should the check tell you that the device doesn't work as expected.

 

And/Or you could wipe the cache partition and see if that changes anything.

 

Finally you could do a factory reset.

 

 


Great! I will try each of those options and see what happens. This may be a difficult question to answer, but how long would you expect a battery charge to last whilst using GPS?

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@ggabu500 wrote:

Great! I will try each of those options and see what happens. This may be a difficult question to answer, but how long would you expect a battery charge to last whilst using GPS?

It has been some months since I last used my S7 to navigate, but I'd expect a smartphone to last at least 6-8h.

0 Likes
Members_IUwGMO7
Student
Options

I suppose that you continuously keep your display on while using Google Maps.

Hence, in that case it isn't GPS which drains your battery but simply the display.

A phone can't be used as a navigation tool for many hours if you leave the display on. You can turn the display off while using voice navigation or connect your phone to a powerbank if you need to watch the display continuously.

If you need navigation with display a lot and consider using a powerbank to cumbersome, just buy a navigation computer (mobile device) which are especially made for this purpose and, hence, keep the battery full for many hours.