Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

SD MEMORY CARD the default storage

(Topic created on: 30-06-2019 06:31 PM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I have recently bought a Samsung galaxy A10. It came with a 2 GB Ram and a 32 GB SD Memory Card. I'd like to ask you how can I make the SD Memory Card the default storage on my Samsung?

Also how can I transfer applications from the internal storage to the SD memory card? 

Go to solution
36 REPLIES 36
gilangax
First Poster
Options

hi, could you tell us slowly about the step?

0 Likes
TomB2
Apprentice
Options

I recently bought a Galaxy A10s only to find out I couldn't add apps from the Google app store. Tried every way possible. It could only store pics. Trashed the A10s and bought an A20. With this phone, I can still download photos directly to the SD card plus I can now download apps from the Play Store and keep them out of the phone's internal storage. The spec sheet for the A10 does not tell you this. If you can return it and see if you might be able to exchange for one the will let you do app downloads to it

0 Likes
TomB2
Apprentice
Options

Recently I had purchased a Galaxy A10s only to go through the same thing you're going through. Trashed the phone and purchased a Galaxy A20. The A20 will let you store apps to the SD card.

0 Likes
SemihAbi
Apprentice
Options

@gilangax wrote:

hi, could you tell us slowly about the step?

Hi, are you talking to me?
0 Likes
MomInCmbtBoots
First Poster
Options
I'd love to convert my sd card to internal storage....however I have no clue what/where any of the things mentioned in your post are.
Could you explain it to me as if I were maybe a 5 year old? (Not a genius level 5 yr old either...lol!!)
SemihAbi
Apprentice
Options

@MomInCmbtBoots wrote:
I'd love to convert my sd card to internal storage....however I have no clue what/where any of the things mentioned in your post are.
Could you explain it to me as if I were maybe a 5 year old? (Not a genius level 5 yr old either...lol!!)

First of all, sorry for my English. I am German and trying to improve my language.

Sure of course. ADBAndroid Debug Bridge, is a command-line utility included with Google's Android SDK. ADB can control your device over USB from a computer, copy files back and forth, install and uninstall apps, run shell commands, and more. Unfortunately and unlike other Android Phones , Samsung does not let you mount your external sd card as internal storage so you have to use this tool to kind of bypass that missing feature and use it anyway. I do not recommend mounting your external storage to internal storage if your sd card hasn't got high data transfer rates. As Android will automatically storage system relevant files also in your sd card after the process, there will be the risk of slowing down your phone and decreasing its maximum performance if your sd card is slow. You will need a PC , your Phone, and an USB data cable.  

1. Connect your Phone to your PC. Make sure you have installed your drivers correctly and double check if your phone is connected to your PC via MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). Mostly, the drivers and the protocol will be installed and activated automatically, but to be safe just look what the status bar on your phone says and if your Windows Explorer (I can only explain how it works on Windows) is showing up your phone.

2. Download and install ADB, Setup your PC and your phone and connect your phone to the shell;

https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/ follow every step in this guide, it is really well explained.

If you have done everything right, you should look at a cmd console with the serial number of your phone on it.

3. now just type in the following command 

"adb shell"

"sm list-disks" --> this should give you an output in form of a number or sth. Copy it.

"sm partition [paste] private"

This will mount your external sd card as internal storage. The uotput of how much gigs you have left might be laggy but don't worry, it does not affect the real storage capacity.

Ireally hope that I could help, if not, just search for this this problem in combination with adb on youtube or google. There arte many tutorials which visually explain you how to do it so you can watch and learn.

Hopefully you will solve your problem and goodnight.

TomB2
Apprentice
Options

I just received this request..

I have found out, after many hours of searching and trying all the suggestions, that the only apps that can be downloaded are those that do not have any link to Google. Any app that refers you to Google Play will download it to the internal storage. None of the YouTube how-to videos showing you how to set the SD card to expand the internal storage work. I have added many apps to external storage ( the SDcard) but they have no connection to Google or Samsung.  The phone I replaced with the A20 was actually capable of doing more 

. I'm seriously thinking about reactivating it and storing this A20 in its present place.

Mzjinxi
First Poster
Options

As of june11th/2020

I'm able to move quite a few APPs 2my SD

card but after updates they seem 2sneak back 2my internal storage. 

I've seen many posts saying Format, then choose make SD internal storage, well .I dont seem 2have that option on my a8,how come? All I get is format and that's it. So am.i stuck with 4ever moving my apps back&forth after updates?

Hugoku
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung A01 I bought for my middle-school kid, and I see i'm missing the option to format the SD as Internal Storage.

That makes it thouroughly unusable.

Has anyone tried the ADB method? I will probably try it and post results.

I know the A01 uses Android Go vs full android so not sure if it's gonna work.

EDIT: perfomed the procedure on the A01 and, it seems to work.

i'm able to move app data from internal to the SD now. Some sections in the settings show the unified storage size.

Will keep checking on it and see it there is any issue. Still not sure how it goes about installing new apps.

Krutangdesai458
Student
Options
Is there a way to re enable that option via roo?
0 Likes