Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

IMS keeps stopping a51 after update

(Topic created on: 11-05-2021 09:30 AM)
Shammyowens
Apprentice
Options

Just did an update on my a51 and keep getting IMS service keeps stopping popping up along with com.sec.epdg keeps stopping too. 

Everything appears to still be working but battery drain is heavier since update now and if I go into messages app and into settings it often crashes. 

I've looked online at posts here and elsewhere and done the following to no avail

Wipe cache partition

Cleared app cache and data for messages, IMS service and com.sec.epdg (where allowed) 

Turned off rich communication settings in messages 

Reset network settings 

Enabled safe mode 

Update version a515xxu4euc8/a515foxm4euc8/a515fxxu4euc8

Model sm-a515f/dsn

Baseband a515fxxu4euc8

Any ideas welcome, I'd rather not factory reset and go through all that pain unless I'm am absolutely sure it will fix the issue. 

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Shammyowens
Apprentice
Options

So I think I may have solved this. I was looking further into messages and this app seemed very flaky. I compared the settings with my partners and noticed they didn't have Samsung chat features enabled. There didn't seem to be a way to undo this though (guides on the net pointed to a menu option which didn't exist).

I put my partners 3 sim in my a51 and it seemed to reset the messages app and Samsung chat. After putting my o2 sim back in, the advanced chat features menu requires registration now (which I'm avoiding!)

The messages app is far more stable and I've had no IMS service stopping messages in 12 hours. Will continue to monitor. I hope this helps someone! 

Solution
Shammyowens
Apprentice
Options

Whilst swapping sim cards temporarily solved the issue, about 24 hours after putting the original sim back in, the error occurred again. 

I got a new sim card from provider and since doing the number swap, the issue has gone away. Also a notification has appeared saying 

IMS Service

Now you can text using your data... 

I really hope this saves someone's time as it has driven me crazy! 

0 Likes