Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How do I mute the startup sound on myA40? Replacement for S Planner?

(Topic created on: 17-09-2019 09:20 PM)
jbafalcon
Explorer
Options

Newbie here.

Hi. Just upgraded from my old trusty S3 to a new A40. I have found that the phones start-up wakes up the boss which is not a good idea at 05.00! I cannot find how to shut the start-up sound off.

Also.

The S Planner calendar on the S3 was brilliant, I could add a emogi to the appointment like a tick, pin, an X etc that was shown on the monthly or weekly calender, also the appointment was word wrapped:

john smithe

rstone

whereas the A40's is just one truncated line:

john smithe

Anyone suggest a replacement like the old S planner? Free or paid for without annoying ads would be bonus.

Thanks for any advice, I will probably be asking a lot of questions

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
mastermind456
Explorer
Options

I'm pretty sure the startup sound is caused by notifications being received as the phone is switched on, so turn on vibrate mode when you shut it down. As for a replacement S planner, One UI 2.0 (the next major update coming in a month) will give the option to add stickers to calendar events.

View solution in context

8 REPLIES 8
Pampoo
Pioneer
Options

Hi, mate! It seems that there's no option to turn off the sound on start up. 

But I've found some option to disable it;

1. By changing the sound mode to silent(Settings> Sound and Vibration> Sound Mode> Silent).

2. By changing decreasing or turning off the volume of system sounds through Settings> Sounds and Vibration> Volume.

Hope that it might help! 

jbafalcon
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I wil try them out. I have half a mind to stay with the S3, much easier/simpler to use. But maybe I just need more time with the A40 to sort it out!

The S3 has widgets that I can use on my opening screen like largish time and date info, the A40 does not seem to have these widgets, anythin you want to see you have to unlock first.

Pampoo
Pioneer
Options
Hi, Mate!

You're most welcome! Yes, you can definitely explore the feature of the Galaxy A40. Even me took more time just to know all of the features of a device, since technology right now is really innovating so fast!

I think it may also help to enlarge the letters or display of the icons in your phone, through Settings> Display> Font size and Style or Screen Zoom.

Thank you!
0 Likes
jbafalcon
Explorer
Options

Thanks, I have found the widgets 🙂

0 Likes
jbafalcon
Explorer
Options

Tried the suggestions, seem the only way to silence this is to change a file in the phones root which could brick the phone. I don't feel brave enough to attempt this at the moment.

0 Likes
Solution
mastermind456
Explorer
Options

I'm pretty sure the startup sound is caused by notifications being received as the phone is switched on, so turn on vibrate mode when you shut it down. As for a replacement S planner, One UI 2.0 (the next major update coming in a month) will give the option to add stickers to calendar events.

jbafalcon
Explorer
Options

Brilliant:smiling-face:

Setting to Vibrate on shutdown works a treat, on starting the phone stays silent, after starting the Settings>Sounds and Vibrations shows Sound Mode as Sound. So selecting Vibrate keeps the start-up silent and no need to re-enable sound as this is automatically activated after starting.

I know it seems a small thing but having stickers for an event is very useful to me, our family plays bowls, our team consists of different players for each game, the games all have the same title and times, having a sticker for each player meant I could easily change the player by changing the sticker, if two players were needed I just had a different sticker; 'Simples' as they say!

Anyway, looking forward to the update, hope we get the always on display option.

0 Likes
mastermind456
Explorer
Options
I doubt AOD will come to the A40 (sadly, I have an A40 as well). I have found a useful app called 'Always on AMOLED' in the play store, if you want to check it out. It essentially does everything the Always On Display does.
Anyway, glad to hear all your problems have been sorted! Enjoy your A40 (its a great phone)!
0 Likes