Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A53 microphone not working during calls

(Topic created on: 18-02-2023 12:59 PM)
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options
The main microphone (mic) on my A53 5G (at the bottom of the phone) is not working during calls. If I switch to speaker mode, the other mic works fine. The main mic works when I record a voice note and when I use the Diagnostic function, it records without an issue. It just doesn't seem to work during calls. 

I've tested it in Safe Mode, it still doesn't work so it wouldn't appear to be an issue with another app. Does anyone have any idea what else I can try before I go for a factory reset?
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Have you tried a different phone app to see if that is the problem? For example if you use the Google one try the Samsung or vice versa? You could also try clearing the app cache of the phone app you are using before doing a factory reset as the final resort
0 Likes
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options
I use the Samsung phone app. I've tried clearing the cache and the data without luck. I've also tried downloading the Google phone app and got the same result. The mic works in the Diagnostic test but not in a call so it doesn't seem to be hardware related. As Safe Mode ruled out any problems with downloaded apps, I'm not sure what else to try other than a factory reset.
0 Likes
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Under Apps>Permission Manager, you can check what apps have permission for phone and microphone to see if you can work out which app is causing the issue. You can also reset all the apps permissions before trying to do a factory reset to see if that makes any difference .
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi, @Gav_hay. I appreciate that it's imperative that you get this issue resolved. I want to help ensure that you can make calls on your A53 as expected. I understand that you've already followed a series of steps to get your mic working during calls.

You might have encountered this thread already but, just in case you haven't, I highly recommend having a read through the various suggestions listed below:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-a-series/callers-cannot-hear-me-on-calls/td-p/1871729

Please let me know when you get this resolved. 👍

0 Likes
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options

Moderators, please delete, posted in error.

0 Likes
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options

Moderators, please delete, posted in error.

0 Likes
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options

Could it be any of these causing the problem?
Mic Permission controller.jpg

I've tried resetting app permissions as well as resetting all settings but to no avail.

Just as a further test, I have put my SIM card in my old phone (a Galaxy A50) and callers can hear me very clearly so that seems to rule out any issues with the SIM card, network or location.

0 Likes
Gav_hay
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the link to that thread.

The loop test (*#0283#) results were interesting. I could hear myself very clearly with Mic 2 but Mic 1 was awful. Maybe that indicates a hardware issue then? It's odd though as when I carry out the Samsung Device Maintenance mic diagnostic test, I can hear myself very clearly through both mics. 

0 Likes
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
Just a thought but under microphone allowed my permissions is showing phone in the list but in the screen capture you don't have phone listed. Could be a red herring but maybe worth checking. The phone app I use is the Google and it shows for both phone and microphone permissions.
0 Likes