Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finger print scanner is useless A50?

(Topic created on: 17-06-2019 05:36 PM)
dj1891
Pioneer
Options

I've never come across a fingerprint scanner so bad.  I have 3 fingers added, it works roughly 1 out of 5 attempts, I've deleted prints, added again an no difference.  It makes using fingerprint to unlock say my bank app useless, Or fingerprint to autofill passwords again useless. 

And while I'm at it the face recognition isn't really much better, it works fine in a bright well lit area but lying in bed with say just the lamp light doesn't work.   My previous phone an Honor 8X I could lie in bed in the dark and using just the screen light from the phone it worked fine.  

Anyone else have these issues?

20 REPLIES 20
Mimmsy
Apprentice
Options
Do not hold your breath, the update is also rubbish.
Mimmsy
Apprentice
Options
You are right, next time I go back to honor/ Huawei, cheaper and better.
A503
First Poster
Options
Yes it totally trash... It does not work and useless.. Wtf is this..
Royapanahi
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. It sucks. In the lates system update, it got a bit better. But still annoying. 

It's a pitty that I think about changing my phone only becuz of this matter.

Members_VdKjOJZ
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, it is fantastic how Samsung manage to absolutely ruin a half decent phone by installing such a terrible fingerprint reader.  In my opinion the physical fingerprint readers that you get on e.g. LG phones are WAY better and a much smarter design.  Not only do they work every time, but also they are at the back of the phone where your frigging fingers are already anyway.  Also, their physical fingerprint sensors also double as power on / off buttons.  So you can touch the sensor to unlock the device and then press it turn lock the device / turn the screen off.  Really handy. 

0 Likes
Members_VdKjOJZ
Journeyman
Options

Yep, I agree completely.  It is so annoying that you really do just want to find a way to get rid of this phone and change to another device!  And the problem is 500% worse nowadays because of Covid - because unlocking with facial recognition obviously does not work with a mask on - nor does it even work if you have glasses on!  Good job Samsung - not!

The old LG G5 had a great finger print sensor that also doubled as a screen/power on off button.  That phone was released way back at the start of 2016!

It is a pity that good ideas like this do not get picked up by other companies like Samsung.

0 Likes
Members_VdKjOJZ
Journeyman
Options

"fingerprint scanner behind the phone".  What?  You mean at the back of the device where your fingers already are when you are holding the device in your hand?  Uff, what a terrible design that is!  😂

I'm being sarcastic of course.

cheers!

0 Likes
Members_VdKjOJZ
Journeyman
Options

" Gonna sell my phone"

Yep, that is pretty much the only solution unfortunately.
Sad but true.
It's pretty annoying how product reviewers (or Samsung developers/staff) don't pick up on major issues like this.
But then, pretty much any phone review nowadays only cares 20% how good the screen is and 80% how good the camera is and everything else in unimportant.

Pfff.

0 Likes
bonz425
First Poster
Options

Omg I just thought I got a dud from the factory but I see this is a common problem with the A50. Upgraded from the A20 and I swear it unlocked if I barely touched it. And the face scan, forget about it. It was so good I stayed unlocking my phone by accident. Unlocked in under a second, no exaggeration. The fingerprint and face scan are horrible. Disappointing because I try to always buy a Samsung. 

0 Likes
Members_VdKjOJZ
Journeyman
Options

"Lay update fixed this." - absolute rubbish!
Issue not fixed

0 Likes